How to select the good RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
Anyone have any good recommendations for ddr2 ram? There seems to be so many different kinds of companies offered ram and ram being offered. What are the differances besides the timings and mhz it runs at? I know the basics like the lower the timings the better, and the higher the mhz the better. On Newegg G.skill, Corsair, and OZC seem to have a whole bunch of ram with the same timings and mhz...so whats different about them? Just different looking heat sinks and colors?

some use different chips that allow for better ocing. Some use the same ones but higher binned. Are you looking at 2x2gb or 2x1gb kits?

some use different chips that allow for better ocing. Some use the same ones but higher binned. Are you looking at 2x2gb or 2x1gb kits?

They don't make 4x1gb kits? I'm interested in 4 gb of ram since I heard its affordable. I don't really plan on OCing and just want to run the ram at stock voltage and timings and have it be fast enough already

Newegg.com - DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), 4GB (4 x 1GB), Desktop Memory, Memory, Computer Hardware

Can always just get 2, 2x1GB kits of the same kind though...it'd be the same lol.

alright to be honest it doesn't matter if its 4x1gb or 2x2gb, I would appreciate answers to my questions such as:. What are the differances besides the timings and mhz it runs at? I know the basics like the lower the timings the better, and the higher the mhz the better.

On Newegg G.skill, Corsair, and OZC seem to have a whole bunch of ram with the same timings and mhz...so whats different about them? Just different looking heat sinks and colors?

well...different companies so: different warranties , customer service...that type of stuff. and of course like some mentioned, some do use different chips that are better quality/better for OC'ing

alright to be honest it doesn't matter if its 4x1gb or 2x2gb, I would appreciate answers to my questions such as:. What are the differances besides the timings and mhz it runs at? I know the basics like the lower the timings the better, and the higher the mhz the better.

On Newegg G.skill, Corsair, and OZC seem to have a whole bunch of ram with the same timings and mhz...so whats different about them? Just different looking heat sinks and colors?
There are different IC's in ram. Promos,Micron,Elpida,powerchip just to name a few. Each have different oc characteristics. Don't just look at the timings but also the voltage it runs at. Some cases you'll see 800mhz ram running 5-5-5-15 thinking its bad ram because of slow timings but voltage is at 1.9v which you could pump alittle more voltage into it @ 2.2v and tighten timings and higher frequencies. Search for micron d9gmh or d9gkx

yeah mircon d9s are great, thats wat the gskill Hz's used. well to answer your question, a good set of 4gb ram is the ocz reap HPC edition or the gskill PK's

yeah mircon d9s are great, thats wat the gskill Hz's used. well to answer your question, a good set of 4gb ram is the ocz reap HPC edition or the gskill PK's

I got the G.Skill HZs purely because everyone recommended them ( and I also had no idea about ram at the time...and still dont know too much ). I never had any problems sticking with the recommended 2.0v-2.1 at 800 mhz and 4-4-4-12. How do the new g.skill PKs stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom