RAM Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ram dilemma

3:4 ratio is fine....i dont think you can even tell in real world apps

i'd just crank ur voltage up to 1.37/1.4 and set the FSB to 400, and the pair i have is from april, and its guaranteed D9GMH just like your set is in case ur wondering.

but setting the FSB to 400 is pretty much the MAX overclock a q6600 can do, and since my rooms pretty hot ( I have a tuniq tower 120 for a HSF ), and people like that vernong guy who do it can't pass stuff like Orthos, so i really dont want to sacrifice stability for the 3 ghz to 3.6 ghz boost. I mean think about it, why sacrifice stability for just a 20% boost?

Anyways just to figure things out, so if the FSB is set to 400, then Im assumign the rams running at 524 mhz? ( according to the whole 3:4 ratio )

3:4 ratio is for the 300fsb and 400mhz memory, if u pushed it at 400fsb it'll be 1:1, q6600's can go higher, i went to 3.6 with EIST and C1E still on and it was stable.

but setting the FSB to 400 is pretty much the MAX overclock a q6600 can do, and since my rooms pretty hot ( I have a tuniq tower 120 for a HSF ), and people like that vernong guy who do it can't pass stuff like Orthos, so i really dont want to sacrifice stability for the 3 ghz to 3.6 ghz boost. I mean think about it, why sacrifice stability for just a 20% boost?

Anyways just to figure things out, so if the FSB is set to 400, then Im assumign the rams running at 524 mhz? ( according to the whole 3:4 ratio )

say again?

say again?

Er way back in the day ( prob like 4-6 months ago ) when I posted asking if people did Orthos testing and prime95 ( that was the name I think? ) when they overclocked their q6600s and an overwhelming response was either they didn't test it or that it couldn't pass a 8-12 hour torture/stress test. In general it is my belief based on many other peoples experience that a q6600 is very rare to reach 3.6 ghz on air cooling alone and be perfectly stable meaning it can past all the torture tests and such ( not to mention my room is a bit abnormally hot ).

*UPDATE*

Hmmmm I just realized their selling the Corsair XMS2 performance Ram ( 2x2gb) for 50$ after mail in rebate...hmmmm should I get it? here are some of my concerns

1. I might have to RMA it to newegg if it has errors in memtest and apparently this corsair XMS2 ram has high failure rates?

2. If I do have to RMA it, does that mean I lose the option too if I send in the mail in rebate? ( the mail in rebate form doesn't seem to ask for any UPS sticker or anything )

3. The Ram can pretty much only run at 5-5-5-18, while my current 2 gigs of G.Skill HZ Ram runs a 4-4-4-12. Will 4 gigs of 5-5-5-18 be that much faster in performance against 2 gigs of 4-4-4-12? How important is timings exactly? ( I remember someone once said mhz matters more for intel processors then timings concerning Ram )

((keep in mind technically ill only have 3.25 gigs max if I get the 4 gigs since I'm running on 32 bit XP ))

You probably got a High VID G0...

But I never have had a q6600, just helped friends overclock them (back when they didn't suck)

You probably got a High VID G0...

But I never have had a q6600, just helped friends overclock them (back when they didn't suck)

hmmm whats the high VID mean again? I heard it before as well as its description but its been a while

theoretically, yes. the VID says "this is what voltage i am supposed to have to run at stock speed with no problems". accuracy of that is up in the air. sometimes low VIDs clock like crap and sometimes high VIDs are stellar (not very often). sometimes you can run stock speed .2V+ lower than the VID. its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom