Wire issue. help would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter

Solid State Member
Hi guys I'm new here. "And would love to learn more about the tech side of my PC.

My current problem is my usb wire from my graphics tablet, (wacom intues 3 A4)
got chewed by my new puppy. About 9 inches of the wire got chewed however one part in particular is chewed through to the wires. I was wondering could I just cut the damaged piece out and re-wire it. It has four standard usb wires inside Green, Red, White, Black. and it's got this silver hair like wire surrounding the small wires.

Could I fix it myself?

Thanks for reading guys!

You couldn't patch the wires, but if you cut the chewed end off (assuming it won't leave you with a ridiculously small cable) I believe you could rewire the USB with a new end. To do this you'd need a special instrument (like they use for Ethernet wiring). I've poked around and haven't found one.

But if your puppy chewed through the entire length of the cable you can't do much else but go purchase a new cable.

The wires can be spliced. The important part is getting the spliced section shielded properly with the outer braid.

but the thing is if you splice it will it still be long enough?

but it probally would be alot eaiser and save alot of time if you just go buy a new one im sure they are not that expensive!

Using a western union splice that's then soldered is strong. By the looks of it the cable is hard wired to the tablet. It might be easier to cut the cord off a cheap mouse and wire it to the tablet.

Wow thanks guys for all the fast reply's.
I've no problem forking out for a new USB wire.
(I'd be a cheap Pikey if I was trying to fix a lousy usb wire to save buying one. but it runs into the graphics tablet. And there's no power wire, it's just got the usb that connects to the PC. And the dog only chewed about 6 or so inches in the middle of the wire. So what do you think I should do. (i'm gutted about this, I had the puppy put down straight away. lol I kid, I kid.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks Kurrent mate.

If it's as easy as cutting the damaged piece out and then wiring the right colors back together, I'm sure I'd have no problem.
But is that outer silver wire hard to reconnect. And would cutting 6 inches off the wire damage the power or anything.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom