Mouse scroll not working probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

keba

In Runtime
The scroll function on my mouse is periodically failing. I find that the scroll wheel only works every other click, sometimes not at all, and typically it works like a charm. The way I see it there are two possibilities, either the button is physically failing, or it is failing on the software side.

The mouse is a Logitech MX500, and it's about 5-8 years old. I disassembled the mouse and I didn't see any physical condition, and it seemed fine. Also, the mouse seem to work on other computers, but as the error is periodic, its really hard to tell without long-term testing. I also changed the usbport, to see if it made a difference.

It could also be that some application is stealing the events or something, as I have a variety of programs running. I have tried reinstalling the driver, but I don't think its the right solution, as the problem returns every other day.

The cord may be getting too frayed being as old as it is.

The mouse is working perfectly for all other buttons on the mouse, including mouse movement. If the cord were to be 'frayed', I believe more things would be wrong with it. I should be able to see it on the cord as well.
The mouse has little buttons at the top and bottom of the wheel, that does scrolling too. They work perfectly when the wheel doesn't.

Is there some sort of program, that I could use to 'catch' the events before any other applications had a chance to mess with it? A way to guarantee a response if the mousewheel is scrolled. If so, I could test if events were made next time the scrolling wheel messes up, and thereby see if its the mouse, or the driver.

Keba

I jumped the gun with my first reply. Does the wheel work perfectly on others computers? The wheel should work using the standard mouse driver that Windows installs.

I jumped the gun with my first reply. Does the wheel work perfectly on others computers? The wheel should work using the standard mouse driver that Windows installs.

Well, as I explained, I haven't had the opportunity to test it thoroughly on another computer, but will try it when I get the chance.
Currently, I am using the default windows driver, so I guess the driver isn't at fault. Could it be caused by another driver? When I think about it, the problem started when I began using my wireless adapter. It is a Zonet ZEW2500P usb adapter.

EDIT:
I just tried removing the device, and it didn't make any difference. I did however notice that scrolling down will work most of the time, but scrolling up seems to be more random. The likelihood of this being a hardware-failure seems more likely now, and considering the age of the mouse, something like this was bound to happen.

It usually just means the wheel inside the mouse rotating isn't making proper contact. You can try to open your mouse and clean the wheel and axel it rotates on.

I will, but I can't find the same mouse anywhere, but will see if I can't find something smililar =P
Thx for the help xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom