amd x2 2.4ghz to x2 3.1ghz OR New mobo and processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stell4r

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

First post here,

I just purchased a 9800gx2 and am running an MSI k9n diamond (1000 mhz FSB) and an AMD x2 2.4ghz processor. With 4 gigs of kingston 800mhz ddr2, sata 120gb HD (3 years old) and an 850w OCZ gameXstream (possiblity for 8 pin mobo connection)

I want to know if I should just spend 120 dolllars for the new processor keep the board, or go all out on an intel or amd quad core, or core duo and OC it to around 3.6ish... I am currently playing warhammer at 1920 res..... and am noticing my cpu (which I think is my cpu) under serious stress... So what should I do what will give me the most noticable difference and bang for my buck. My budget is 400-450 for board/proc any input would be very appreciated.

welcome to tf.
try overclocking it first. unless you really want new stuff.
if that is the case, q9550 and p45, standard fare. to be had for under 500 bucks.

So I guess Quad core isnt even an option at this point? it seems like everyone is pushing me away from quad is the raw mhz rating so much more important than FSB? and HT/MT times

Which intel board should I get that will be (if I want in the future) SLI ready I mean QUad sli becuase I will most likely get another 9800gx2 two weeks after the new mobo/cpu

What do you think about DDR3 systems I just priced a system on NCIX.com for 500 dollars I could get ddr3 ram @ 2gigs asus MOBO with an intel quad core proc

the only decent SLI mobo ATM (that i know of) is the 750FTW from evga.
ddr3 is overpriced for the performance difference between it and ddr2, but link the deal and i will check it out and let you know.

i wouldnt do ddr3. i'd do a 9950 and a p45 mobo and keep the 4gb of 800. or, depending on your monitor resolution and if you are going to crossfire HIGH end cards, you could go x48 on the mobo. the p45 will crossfire two of any cards and work well at resolutions 1920 x 1200 and under. over 1920 x 1200 you probably want to get an x48.
man....canada is expensive....i suggested the q9550, but it is a bit cheaper here...
here are some choices that will fit your budget:
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.
and
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard - P5Q Pro In Canada.
a little over 450.

How did you get your quad core clocked at 2.5ghz to 3.75 thats insane... and if I were to get the same cpu would I be able to do something like that sans the coolingsystem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom