Which GPU is best for my PC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzN

Baseband Member
I can't seem to decide which GPU to get or which my PC can handle, these are the 2 I've been looking at. My budget is around $200-$300 or if there's a cheaper one that's under $200. If you can recommend me different type that is better please do.

9800GX2
Newegg.com - 9800 GX2, $200 - $300

I was also looking at the HD4870 but I don't know which is best.
Upgrading so I can play Warhammer Online at max settings.

Hmmmmm.... You may want to rethink this plan. That Athlon 4600+ may bottleneck the new cards you are looking into. Not sure how much it would affect your overall FPS on max settings, but it may be wise to upgrade your CPU as well.

Hmmmmm.... You may want to rethink this plan. That Athlon 4600+ may bottleneck the new cards you are looking into. Not sure how much it would affect your overall FPS on max settings, but it may be wise to upgrade your CPU as well.

Can you recommend me a better CPU and if I buy a new CPU do I have to upgrade my motherboard aswell?

Another question is if I don't upgrade my CPU what card would you recommend so that my CPU doesn't bottleneck the card.

BTW I'm playing at 1680x1050 resolution.

I would have to agree with the CPU. You most likely will not have to get a new motherboard but you may have to to a BIOS update if yours isn't up to date. You may need an AMD 5600+ at 2.9GHz. That is the one I have and it runs well. Another plus is the fact that it is less than $100 on newegg.com. You could get a 9800GTX... I believe they are cheaper than the 9800GX2 but I don't know? A 9800 series would be a bit of an overkill for warhammer online but you would be set for the future. And as far as nVidia vs. ATI... you'll never get an honest answer... I go nVidia only, others go ATI.... to each his own.

You could go with a good 8800 series card if you don't want to spend the money and you could also turn down the resolution to get better performance. I promis that things still look nice at lower resolutions.

Yea both brands ATI and nVidia are great at the moment for price and performance ATI is currently in the lead but pretty sure it will change like it always does but since you have a SLI board i would say go with the nVidia card 9800GTX would be great.And sli in the future if you want.

bottlenecks are blown out of proportion. overclock that 4600 a few hundred mhz (if you even have to at all) and it will handle that card. you guys ever think about the monitor being the bottleneck? think about it...it makes sense.

Digital Jedi:
Is this the CPU you was talking about??
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The reason why I wanted to get the 9800 GX2 was because I don't plan on upgrading the card for quite a while that's why I wanted to spend the extra $70-$80. As oppose to just buying a regular 9800GTS or an 8800 series card.

Csaefong:
Yea I didn't want to upgrade my board but seeing as how I have to upgrade my CPU I thought I'd have to upgrade the board aswell. My main concern is if I do go with a 9800GTX or a 8800 series card do I still have to upgrade my current CPU so that it doesn't bottleneck the new card I'll be buying?

Options:
Spend $200-$300 on card and buy a new high end CPU and MOBO?
Spend less IE: AMD 5600+ and 9800GTX or 8800 series card and wait for new stuff to come out?

You won't notice a bottle neck during gaming with that gpu. I tested a 4870 in my system and I have a 4200+ at 2.4ghz. I played crysis maxed out with no problems, it will only effect your 3DMark score and stuff like that.

hello? you dont have to upgrade anything, just overclock a little. i really dont think you will have to do much of that to run the gx2. certainly not for an 8800gs. gtx is questionable. i vote not.
i'd drop another gb or two of ram in before i went off buying a new mobo and cpu.
i suggest option 3:
get the best graphics card you can afford and 1-2gb of ram and see how you like it. even if it is severly bottlenecked (it wont be), you will see a massive improvement over your current set up.

Yeah im tired of this bottlenecking stuff.

You dont need to get a stronger cpu just cause youre getting a stronger card. Only benchmarks care about that, game performance will be pretty much the same.

I agree 100% with nagasama, just get the 9800GX2 and more ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom