Decent Gaming Rig < $700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyonu

Baseband Member
Really? Well, I wanted to try it out, so here's:

quicker.jpg

what I had on the list, currently. All from newegg, all free shipping.

Okay, the price would be different, if they had the Phenom X3 8450 in stock. :( It would combo with that same harddrive, for -$15. So, the price would drop under 600 barely, and the processor would heave it to near, but under, $700 bucks.

I do plan on overclocking this computer, since the HD4850/HD4870 series cards overclock extremely well with what I experienced currently. This machine is going to be strictly for overclocking to see what it can do, so I can offer it to my "clients" who want decent machines under 900 bucks.

About the MoBo, I chose the 790GX because it has great overclocking features, Biostar especially. Sure, it's only x8/x8 speeds in crossfire, and has the option to crossfire later down the road. But, with the 4850's, x8/x8 is maybe... 5~10% noticable difference, which in most games is only just a few framerates. But even at x8/x8, the 4850's have proven to beat the GTX 280 series cards (in applications that accept multi-GPU format), and still stays around 80-100 dollars cheaper.

Now, these are just combo's, but I will be building 5 of these before the end of the month, so most of that should stay that price.

So, any suggestions/better ideas for under 700 bucks? (Btw, I want to keep it a Spider-based platform (AMD/ATI) because they will be upgraded with the AMD Fusion© program later)

Depends on how much hardware you'll be using. Full towers are good for water cooling and sli or crossfire setups. But mid towers do just fine as well.

HD4850 video cards in crossfire will fit into the 300 case perfectly fine, I've done it. :p

I wanted to use the PC8500 because it'd be cheaper than the PC6400 4gb, and the 8450Tri-core because overall performance and overclocking abilities are much more than that of the 5400+.

Oh, and it runs cooler. :D

I just want to see how well 2gb DDR2 1066 will run on Vista. I love vista, and play with it all the time; so far, I have only seen memory bog down on 1-2gb DDR2 less than 800...

do not get a x2, or even a x3. for the same price you can get a much better intel build (i no intel xD). such as

e8400
gigabyte EP45-ds3l
2gb gskill
HIS 4850

but if you really want a amd build, the 790gx mobo is good but as you said go with a triple core the 8450 would be good for a budget. but if you want to spend the extra 20 a 8650 black edition would be good for overclocking.

^ I agree, the only reason you would go with AMD is for the 780/790 chipset and once you get a decent video card it just isnt worth it. But dont worry, you can support AMD by buying a 4850/70. lol

Hate to nitpick but < is greater than and > is less that. Think of it as a crocodile wanting to eat the biggest steak.

Also you could probably change the power supply/case to save money.

agreed, the case is ok but your could get a cheaper psu.

redmoon, isnt it the other way round.
the small end always faces the smaller number eg, 5<7
therefore shouldn't <$700 be correct (eg 650<700)

redmoon, it sepends on the position of the numbers.
if the higher number is first, its > ie 8 > 5...if the higher number is second it is < ie 4 < 8
yes baron you are correct...
:stolen from some website:

Your recollection of the mnemonic (memory aid) is right. The way I've
heard it (with appropriate illustrations) was that an alligator -
which is notoriously hungry - always wants to eat the larger number.

3 < 8 Alligator wants to eat the 8, so 3 is less than 8

5 > 2 Alligator wants to eat the 5, so 5 is greater than 2

I guess you can modernize it and simplify the drawing by calling it a
hungry Pac-Man instead.

EDIT: LOL "modern" pac-man...

so, "build < 700" is correct. because the alligator wants to eat your 700 dollars. which will prompty turn into 1000 dollars...which will promptly turn into 1500 dollars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom