My first custom computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank07

Solid State Member
Well after discussing with my parents if they would be giving me the money to buy parts and build it myself, they said that i might do something wrong and just loose money so i've been looking at some pre build computer websites, and found this one.. ibuypower.com not sure if its good but right now i am looking at the video pro i kinda added some stuff and removed.
I need this computer for Graphic programs mostly (AutoCad,Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator...) and yes of course for games :) so what do you guys think of this set up?

case
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Middle Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply Black

Power Supply
800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI Ready

Processor
Quad Core Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB

Processor Cooling
Silent AVC Silent Intel CPU Fan and Heatsink

Motherboard
[CrossFire] Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

Memory
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

Video Card

ATI Radeon HD 4870-X2-DDR5 2GB PCI-Express x16

Hard Drive
500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

CD/DVD Drive
16x DVD-ROM Drive

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive

LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card
Killer K1 - Online Gaming Accelerator - w/ 333Mhz Network Processing Unit + Lag & Latency Reduction Technology

Flash Media Reader/Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer

Operation System
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 64-Bit

total including shipping: 2,374.42

Agreed on the NIC card, You won't notice enough of an improvement to justify what that card costs. 8GB of ram is a tad overkill. 2GB is the sweetspot for most things. Also make sure they're giving you a good power supply, Just because it has a load of watts doesn't make it good.

Yea it looks good except as veedubfreak mentions you don't have anything about a display. I would highly reccomend investing in a large display. You can get a nice 22" nowadays for not that much.

About the RAM I would keep all 8 gigs.. I use vista ultimate 64 bit and it does help to have more ram and vista does know how to use it. And on top of that ddr2 is so cheap right now.

Might want to contact SurgeVel on these forums...he builds comps for people for a business. Usually ends up much cheaper than the other places, too.

Thanks guys for all the comments really appreciate it!!

Looks good, but get rid of the killer nic. Does that price include a monitor?
You dont recommend the killer nic? The price does not include a monitor, i already have one ViewSonic VP2030b

Agreed on the NIC card, You won't notice enough of an improvement to justify what that card costs. 8GB of ram is a tad overkill. 2GB is the sweetspot for most things. Also make sure they're giving you a good power supply, Just because it has a load of watts doesn't make it good.
Thanks M733mhz i will contact them about it

Yea it looks good except as veedubfreak mentions you don't have anything about a display. I would highly reccomend investing in a large display. You can get a nice 22" nowadays for not that much.

About the RAM I would keep all 8 gigs.. I use vista ultimate 64 bit and it does help to have more ram and vista does know how to use it. And on top of that ddr2 is so cheap right now.

Thanks for the comment, I would love to upgrade to windows vista ultimate 64 bit, but unfortunately i don't have enough money for that :(

Might want to contact SurgeVel on these forums...he builds comps for people for a business. Usually ends up much cheaper than the other places, too.

Alright Thanks CarnageX I will look for him and contact him about this

Wouldn't it be better to go with a stronger power supply?

the 4870 x2 is no soft cookie
Yeah, I just sent IBP a message regarding the power supply

Edit**

They recommended me a
[= Gaming Edition =] 1000 Watt Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Edition] --- Quad SLI + Active PFC + 80 Plus Ready
do you guys think that that's good?

no no no no no. You do not need a freaking 1000 watt power supply. If you only have a 20" monitor, you DO NOT need the x2. A single 4870 or 4850 will be more than enough for a 20 inch monitor and save you a few hundred bucks.

I recommend getting a quality power supply like a Corsair 650tx to go with the single 4850 or 4870 veedubfreak mentioned. I have never heard of IBP and they aren't listed in the Power supply guide which usually isn't a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom