xp pro 64 requires cd to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

calsonic

Baseband Member
hi there,

i have a machine w/ an Athlon 64 x2 3800+, 3.5 gigs ram 2 ide hdd's and 1 sata hd (which windows is on) on a Sapphire Tech PC-A9RD580Adv with a 630 watt PSU.

iv'e been running xp 64 for a little over a year now and it's been very stable.

recently, i took my sata drive out and swapped it with a friends who was experiencing a "disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter" error. i used an xp 32 cd and ran fixmbr, chkdsk and diskpart on it to find that it had no partitions.
im still working on that one and maybe it's unrelated but, after switching my sata hdd back into my rig, i now had the same "disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter" error. so used my xp 64 disk to run fixmbr and chkdsk and diskpart, which showed me that my sata drive with windows on it was being picked up as drive e: instead of c:. i then rebooted and walked away for a bit, and returned to find that it booted successfully to my desktop and that c: was c: and everything else was fine.

turns out that basically, you have to have the xp 64 cd in the drive and let the pc count past the "press any key to boot from cd" in order to boot, if you take the cd out, it will say "disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter".

any ideas?
thanks.

Yeah do a fixboot and fixmbr. If that doesnt work then rebuild your boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom