Going to fast, didnt fasten heatsink properly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
Hi there,

Ive built many PC's in my time but last night while building my secondary PC I was in to much of a hurry and didnt fasten the heatsink to my cpu properly. Dumb mistake i know, i just assumed i had clipped the HS in properly without double checking. On booting the machine i noticed it started to turn off randomly and I couldnt get my head around it. I hopped into bios and noticed that the cpu temp was up around 90c!!! I have a feeling that it could have got higher when it was shutting the machine down. The cpu is the Core Duo E8600 and was just wondering if i can consider its health to still be in check. Im assuming the cpu knew it was getting to the critical heat stage hense why it shut the pc down.

Can someone tell me what the max temp these cpu's can go to before they start becoming damaged? Im guessing once they start smoking? lol. I didnt notice any smoke or odd smell and looking at the cpu and cpu socket afterwards showed no signs of damage physically. I have since installed vista and had a little play around in windows with zero signs of anything wrong (blue screens, lock ups etc..).

I would say you're ok. If it was auto shutting down then that's a good sign. You should be in the green, Especially if you installed vista and have been using it solid then all is well!

Yea it should be fine its shutting itself down as long as you don't smell smoke lol i did that before haha with my old rig with the stock intel cooler almost fried a q6600 lol luckily it was shutting itself down.

yeah im sure ill be fine, just heart in the mouth sorta stuff when you realise you are potentially almost frying your new expensive cpu LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom