Looking into a new Processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO changing your cpu is will not give you a major boost, just save up the money for a future gaming build.

2.4 = 2.4. unless you are doing some serious multi-tasking, a 2.4 quad will give you no more performance than your current dual core.

Before you could use a quad you would have to update your BIOS. Since you are using a Dell, you can't overclock the CPU, so a quad would probably be a waste for you. An E7300 would give you a little boost, but nothing spectacular.

Aw well that is kinda a let down. I don't really plan on getting a new PC any time soon... I think once I get a new processor though, I'd be good for another couple years right? I'm not looking to play Crysis on Very High graphics or anything, I just want my average game to look nice.

How much of an upgrade do you guys think this would be? It might be the one I choose...

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

P.S. Exactly what is overclocking anyways? I mean, I assume it just pushes your hardware to the max at the cost of heat. Dells cant do it, but how would a custom made PC do it? And would getting a 3.33 GHz processor be more less useless since I can't overclock? Thanks :]

3.33GHz is faster than a 2.4GHz. You wouldn't have to worry about overclocking it anyway since 3.33GHz is fast for today. Not sure how to overclock but I think it is a dumb idea.... do it if you want to burn out your hardware faster.

To be honest if you don't know what overclocking is, don't do it. Also, if you have a dell, good luck replacing your processor, and better luck OCing.

If you're upgrading to be able to do more gaming, worry about upgrading the graphics card. An E6600 should do you fine for moderate gaming.

I guess my biggest concern would be playing an MMO where there are tons of players in the same area. I just got a new nVidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB, so I'm not worried about upgrading that for a while. I am right to assume that upgrading form a 2.4 to a 3.3 would be quite noticeable, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom