[Project] NB Core Voltage how high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, you said 6770 in the original post. Which is the 65nm chip.

What's your opinion on the QX9770 and how high do you think I could take it with the objects in my build?

If anyone knows of a good water-cooling solution, please let me know. After talking it over with my advisor, it can be up to $500USD.

^Edited the processor type here because after i read Veedub's comment I accidently put the wrong processor on this post.. :| (the processor is the 45nm QX9770 3.2GHz) $1,450 processor.. it should kick azz.

the 6 series is all 65nm, the 9 series is 45nm. and actually I'm pretty sure the e7x00 series can smash out 5+ghz quite easily. I can hit 4.2ish on like 1.4v and not run into temp problems on stock cooling.

Even if it could hit 5GHz easily.. I can't get it. I have the QX9770 Quad Core.. and I can't change it...
Basically I need to take these products basically the best I could possibly use to put together a machine.. and make it go as fast as ever loving possible. I know there is a QX9775.. but that only works for Intel's motherboards I believe. Anyhow.. Intel and EVGA want to see something out of this... And I am trying to know every little detail of this process so I can give them something worth their time. ;)

The 9770 will hit 4ghz with ease. See the issue with the new 45nm chips isnt heat, they can be cooled just fine. The problem is that it will take more voltage than the chip can handle. Anything over 1.4v on the 45nm chips has a tendancy to slowly fry the chips.

As far as a watercooling setup, its going to depend on what case you are stuffing it in.

Anything over 1.4v on the 45nm chips has a tendancy to slowly fry the chips.
As far as a watercooling setup, its going to depend on what case you are stuffing it in.

Sounds like I should NOT go over 1.4V on this build.. This is a long-term overclock after all... I wonder how far getting it to 1.4V will take me though..

And I have a huge case. So, what would you recommend 500$ or less water-cooler?

My entire 2 loop setup only cost me around 450. 2 swiftech 320mm radiators (1 for cpu 1 for video cards), 2 swiftech 655 pumps, swiftech gtz waterblock, 2 dangerden maze5 waterblocks, 20 foot of masterklear tubing, 2 mountainmods 3bay reservoirs and 14 yate loon medium speed fans :)

They have some pretty good stuff.. Thanks :)

This is awesome! beautiful isn't it...

3D Mark Vantage Score: 37,101
3DMark06 Score: 32,719

Component Type Brand Product
RAM Corsair 2x Dominator TWIN2X
Hard Drive Western Digital 80gb
Case Lead sled Bench Platform
Power Supply Silverstone 1200W
CPU Intel QX9770
OVERCLOCKED:
MHz: 5660 Multiplier: 17 Voltage: 1.8 Stepping: C0 FSB: 400
Graphics Card EVGA GTX 280
OVERCLOCKED:
GPU MHz: 1061 RAM MHz: 2506 Multiple Video Cards: Yes
Motherboard EVGA nforce 790i ultra
http://www.evga.com/community/ModsRigs/comment.asp?sysid=443

If the voltage going above 1.4v will seriously wear and tear on a 45nm chip.. this this one is probably still screaming..
I'll be using basically the same parts.. except for the super crazy expensive RAM. ;) I also won't be pouring liquid nitrogen all over my parts.. nope.. that's just too se}{y for my wallet to handle.
I guess after I order the water cooling stuff I can begin to build the computer and then start the overclocking process. Maybe I will have a question about something else.. hmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom