Seemingly complex motherboard question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macalano

Beta member
Hi I just recently bought some new things for my computer, an IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive, an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor (Socket AM2), and a GeForce 8500 graphics card (PCI Express x16).

I was trying to install all this on my old motherboard but I found that absolutely nothing fit. I tryed putting the new hard drive in Newegg.com - EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8160 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives, but the connectors wouldn't fit... I'm assuming IDE ultra is different from IDE? The slots weren't normal like on my old hard drive, instead there seems to be a sort of chip instead of a socket.

The graphics card was obvious, I just need a PCI Express slot.

I couldn't really pry off the old processor (glad I didn't) to install the new one in.

Here I'll just post all the specs for it.

Intel Springdale i865PE

Now what i was wondering... is all I needed to make this upgrade would be a new motherboard? Would I need to buy a new heat sink? Could I use two different types of IDE's on one motherboard?

Also is there a motherboard that supports multiple AGP's and just one PCIX (Edit: I don't know whether those are AGP's or PCI's... I think PCI's...)?

Sorry if anything I typed sounds confusing. Thanks for help in advance.

-Macalano

Just a side not I was reading up on this earlier about why my PCIX16 slot wouldn't fit into a PCI and apparently some guy took a box cutter to his it to make it fit. Not suggesting I would do that, but lol.

I just guessing but to me I see that you bought an AMD processor for an Intel motherboard?? So to answer you question, yes you do need a new mother board. One that supports an AMD processor and the AM2 socket type. If you just wan to go budget, the go for the ASUS M2N-E. I costs less than $100 and it is a good solid motherboard. I'm not sure you can get a motherboard that has two AGP slots and one PCIe (PCI Express 16X) slot. AGP is old stuff and most video cards today are in PCIe. You new hard drive plugs in with the big fat cable right? I couldn't get a good look at the picture. IDE and the ATA both in the name of the HD confuses me. If it uses SATA then the motherboard you have now will not work. I saw a pic. of it and it didn't look like it had any SATA connectors. Did the new processor come with a heatsink? If it did, then use it, if not then find a new heatsink for a socket AM2 processor.

I just guessing but to me I see that you bought an AMD processor for an Intel motherboard?? So to answer you question, yes you do need a new mother board. One that supports an AMD processor and the AM2 socket type. If you just wan to go budget, the go for the ASUS M2N-E. I costs less than $100 and it is a good solid motherboard. I'm not sure you can get a motherboard that has two AGP slots and one PCIe (PCI Express 16X) slot. AGP is old stuff and most video cards today are in PCIe. You new hard drive plugs in with the big fat cable right? I couldn't get a good look at the picture. IDE and the ATA both in the name of the HD confuses me. If it uses SATA then the motherboard you have now will not work. I saw a pic. of it and it didn't look like it had any SATA connectors. Did the new processor come with a heatsink? If it did, then use it, if not then find a new heatsink for a socket AM2 processor.

The new processor was just a chip. And yes, I am aware now that I bought an AMD for and Intel motherboard... do'h. The hard drive came with no cable. But I had an incompatible one that was already in there. (Id like to know if theres a cable for dual drives that can use both the NEW and OLD model.

The old hard drive connector looks like this
:::::::::::.:::::::::: : : : :

, but the new one looks like this... I hate to do this so crudely.
---------| |---- : : : : (With no pins... more like what u see inside of an SNES cartridge)

If I went out and bought an AMD motherboard (no chip included, i already got one to put in there), with 3PCI's and 1 PCIe (im assuming they include a heatsink) would that work? The hard drive thing is stumping me though.

Your new HD is in the IDE Ultra ATA133 form factor. Some motherboards support this but most don't. I think you can get a PCI card to plug in the HD but you will also need an IDE Ultra ATA cable. I could be wrong but based on what google showed me, that is what you need. I might just be easier and cheaper and faster to RMA your HD back to newegg and get a SATA HD. Then if you got a new AMD motherboard, make sure is supports the AM2 socket for your new processor and has SATA connectors. The motherboard I pointed out to you is a good base to go off of or you could just get that one. Motherboards don't come with heatsinks for the processors so you need to get and AM2 supported heatsink. Do some research to find out what you want to do... maybe someone with more experience can help you as well. I've have only been doing this a little over a year now.

Your new HD is in the IDE Ultra ATA133 form factor. Some motherboards support this but most don't. I think you can get a PCI card to plug in the HD but you will also need an IDE Ultra ATA cable. I could be wrong but based on what google showed me, that is what you need. I might just be easier and cheaper and faster to RMA your HD back to newegg and get a SATA HD. Then if you got a new AMD motherboard, make sure is supports the AM2 socket for your new processor and has SATA connectors. The motherboard I pointed out to you is a good base to go off of or you could just get that one. Motherboards don't come with heatsinks for the processors so you need to get and AM2 supported heatsink. Do some research to find out what you want to do... maybe someone with more experience can help you as well. I've have only been doing this a little over a year now.

I think what I need to do know is but that new motherboard, a converter, and just plug everything in. Thanks, hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom