Vista APIPA help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulrgod

Beta member
Hi Guys,

New to the forums and seeking desperate help!!

We have a small network at home connected to a sky DG834GT router, ordinarily using DHCP all works fine, the occasional router restart here and there but nothing too serious.

We have 4 computers, 3 of these connect wirelessly (2 vista and 1 XP) and one connects direct to the router with a LAN cable (Vista).

Yesterday the computer on the LAN cable was unable to access the internet, it sticks on identifying or will sometimes goes past identifying but says 'Unidentified Network'.

Ipconfig reports an ip address of 169.254...

After a bit of Googling i have discovered this is an APIPA address and found some guidance on removing the APIPA address but nothing seemed to work, all fix's seemed only relevent to XP.

Tried assigning a static ip address - doesnt work

Thought maybe faulty cable (we have dogs, so maybe chewed?) connected cable to my Vista laptop - all fine.

After running out of ideas and patience i formatted and re-installed Vista thinking that maybe the registry may have become corrupt or something else drastic.

Format & Install goes well, install LAN driver for Motherboard, exactly the same is happening.

Router has been restarted after all the above steps, and also restored the factory settings - all other computers can still access fine.

Please can someone help me, this is driving me insane!!!!

Many thanks for any guidance given!
Paul

Thanks - I dont actually have one 'lying around' to try! The desktop is actually just over a month old and has worked perfectly well until yesterday so surely its unlikely the LAN port at fault? Also the relevent port on the router is flickering, also tried different ports on the router, the activity follows this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom