netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
there good and all that but my question is they use solid state disks ie flash cards and flash cards only have a certain amount of cycles of life until they die does this put you off buying one or not, the reason why i ask is because one of my Colleagues at work is offering me an asus eee 901 1gb 20gb for £200 what do you think?!

Solid state drives have a longer life span then the traditional platter ones. Solid state drives have no moving parts, use less power, and create less heat. The part that usually breaks on traditional hard drives are the moving parts - something that solid state drives don't have.

They have a life span but we're talking about a million + write operations here. That's longer than any hard drive I'd say.

For example, my first flash drive was a shopping 32mb Sandisk and I've used it for like 7 years without a hitch. No problems even when I use it occasionally today. How many hard drives you had that lasted over 7 years? I wouldn't worry about it and SSD will be dirt cheap in a few years if you want to upgrade or something. No worries!

SSD have a faster speed in comparison to platters - think about it, with SSD all that has to happen is an eletrical current has to hit a certain part of the drive and read the information. With platters an arm phyisically has to move to different parts of the platter to read the information.

But even with the data being accessible at a faster rate, you still have a speed issue with the Sata interface (not saying that is slow, just saying no matter how fast the data can be accessed, it still has to travel through the Sata cabling, so theoretically the data throughput would never be faster then 3.0 g/s).

just got him down to £175 also in the bundle is a extended battery and a leather case but i dont care bout the case the one that asus provide is adequate enougth

I wouldnt go so far to say that solid state are less likely to break down. It depends on their use. I have a flash drive that i used as a readyboost drive and it is just about dead.

Anything i put on there corrupts and it doesnt hold data at all. This was just from a year of use with it being a ReadyBoost Drive and it was designed for ReadyBoost as well.

So to say that a PC that is fully dependent on a solid state drive would last longer isnt fully accurate. It all depends on how much the laptop would be in use i would have to say.

If you use it 24/7 and constantly put new data and software on there then i could see it failing a lot sooner than a hard drive.

I still have my first 1GB hard drive. Still with Windows 95 installed on it as well. I hooked it up and it still had my documents from back then. So even movable part drives if kept up well can last a long time. That drive is at least 14 years old now.

I have waited years for these things to finally exist because back when everyone was using palm PDAs I was like if only they just made like a small affordable laptop and now finally we have them but for me a little too late seeing as I don't really have much use for one now because I'm not in school now and don't travel

But Mak i think that is the luck of the draw. Seriously, I've had hard drives die after two years of use, but still have TONS of USB devices that were given to me at conferences and what not from YEARS ago. Granite I understand what you are saying, I don't use those on a daily basis. Which is right, but I have two USB drives I've had for the past 4 years that I work with on a bi-daily basis, and they still work.

I just think it depends on usage - and ALL THINGS EQUAL, a SSD will last longer than a traditional platter one. Now instead of having a moving piece malfunction, the SSD memory can no longer hold information. It is also about quality, if you don't use quality memory chips, yes a SSD will die sooner then the traditional QUALITY platter.

Also i don't agree with SSD using less power. True while both are writing and reading data constantly a SSD will use less battery. But how often are you accessing the drive constantly? Disk hard drives actually use less power while you are surfing the web and such while SSD use a constant stream power. The power efficiency of SSD is improving with every model. I believe disk hard drives have their days numbered, but they will still have a place in the market for many years to come.

Oh and back on topic i would get the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom