building my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipsi

Baseband Member
Im building my first computer and would like some help please.Few questions for a start,probably more to follow hehe.

1.I want to transfer my slave drive from this puter to the new puter when finished,still as slave.Is there a trick to this?It is a 80 gig harddrive 3/4s full and I dont want to loose any data.Sorry if dumb question but would rather be safe than sorry.

2.Do I need to put thermal paste between cooling fan and processor?tried to buy some paste from local puter shop but they said I didnt need it and they would have to order in,what do y think.Would vasoline do the same or maybe something similar?

regards,
Tipsi

edit: make sure the bios in the new computer can handle (see) all 80gigs of your drive. You can do this by updating to the most current bios firmware.

moving the HD shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't damage the drive while moving it. Since its a slave drive and you're not going to install a os on top of the data, no problems should occur cus the dtaa will be untouched. However, if you have installed progs on that drive, you'll need to re-install them.

I never had to put paste between my cpu & cooling fan. I'd say if you were instructed to do so by maunal or manufacturer, do it, otherwise i think you should be fine.

specs?

The use of thermal paste is generally highly recommended to disperse heat more effectively. I think it is an extremely wise investment towards the longevity of your new $100-$300 processor for only $4-$6. I would not recommend using vasoline at all, but if the $5ish dollars is too much, I'm willing to bet a tech-forums member would be nice enough to send you a bit (I would, but alas I have none at the moment myself).

Always use thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu. Unless the cpu cooler you bought comes with paste already applied on it, or an Intel and AMD heatsink would have thermal pads for it.

On the question about your 80GB, is your OS on the hard drive ?
If so, you might want to create a separate partition for your content, and transfer it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom