First Rig, Help from vets. Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok SO.

With this system, running a 1680-1050, considered overkill with my card, cause honestly i was just considering a 22inch. Reason being, i bought that card, cause originally it was in my budget, ofcourse, now i look back on it, and feel that maybe it was a waste and i could of gone smaller probably. Either way, i know its a good card, non the less, do you think it was a good investment ? or more of a waste?

the 4870x2 is overkill indeed for a 22" monitor. it will serve you well at that resolution for quite some time, so look at the bright side.:D
its a killer card.

well, maybe i can check into a bigger screen for the 1920-1200 reso, Aser 24 inchs seem to be good prices?

what about thoughts on the rest of the pc?

1. Cant really say, money is worth different value to different people. by building a computer with good overclockable cpus etc makes it better for the price, so imo yes. with a 20" though a 4870 is all thats needed, itll make it better value.
2. Cm dont make good psu's drop it for a 650tx (750tx about $20 more and not needed)
i think you mean gigabyte EP45-ds3R which is a good choice.
swap to a diamond or visiontek card they are usually good brands.
**** ddr3, way too overpriced! jsut get a set of 4gb (2x2GB) HPC ocz reapers ddr800
3. Who's to say? the new intel socket (lga1366 - nehalem (intel I7) come out soon so only time will tell, althought these are said not to have a big improvment in gaming only for multithreaded apps etc.
4.no, in regards to frame rate etc. your internet connections is what givges you lag.
5. as above^
6. 1680x1050 or smaller for 4870, anything above 4870x2, although you could get away with a 4870 on 1920x1200 it would be less future proof in a sense.
7like as i said, msi are ok but i would rather have a visiontek HIS sapphire diamond, they are all good. as for gigabyte, there mobo's are very good quality.

tried my best to answer all ur q's feel free to give me a kudo :)

Well, being as now, this was my first computer, i guess i learned a 300dollar lesson. I need to make due with it for now, i guess something that would be NEEDED, is to me to get a 24inch screen to get a reso of 1920-1200, so i dont feel as though my GPU is wasted i guess. Any other thoughts or comments? all appreciated.

if your budget permits it try getting 24" HD monitor so you can benefit more from the 4870x2

Well, being as now, this was my first computer, i guess i learned a 300dollar lesson. I need to make due with it for now, i guess something that would be NEEDED, is to me to get a 24inch screen to get a reso of 1920-1200, so i dont feel as though my GPU is wasted i guess. Any other thoughts or comments? all appreciated.

It's not a waste at your current resolution. The way I see it, the card will last you for years on that res, and it'll be able to easily max out any game. So enjoy it :D

Well the thing is, my budget isnt the problem, I initially came to with a budget when i was lookin at alienware and xps systems of like 2500 bucks, with screen and sound and ofcourse warranty. Truth is, this system i built is going to give me way more than those 2 computer configs, my only concern is making sure, i didnt just waste money, and that the GPU i bought isnt useless for my initial plans?

So besides the Reso settings, if i decided to keep the 1680 reso, i could more than likely run alot of games at max setting right? As compared to a regualar 4870?

And on the 24inch screen idea? what brands would people recommend? So far i found a Samsung, Acer, ViewSonic for good prices?

with an x2 and a 1680 screen you can max ALL games.
as i said before, a single 4870 1gb is more than adequate for resolutions up to and including 1920 x 1200. i forget which mobo you have, but you can always add another 4870 1gb for crossfire and that will slay anything, just as much as the x2.
if you already have the x2, enjoy it.
i have an Acer 24" and i love it.

well said nagasama.

Well, what would you do if you were in my situation? Upgrade the screen to a 1900? or just max out graphics on a 1680?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom