CMOS Checksum Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
I shutdown my compy, flipped the PSU power switch, and swapped out hard drives. When I booted it up everything went normally and I saw the Windows 98 (heck yes) splash screen before turning around. When I turned back it was stuck at a black screen, so I hit the reset button. After that it wouldn't get past the memory testing in the BIOS. I turned it off and swapped the hard drives back, but when I turned it back on it still wouldn't get past this (after mem testing comes the IDE drive detection). After clearing my CMOS and booting back up it gave me a "CMOS Checksum Error" and I hit F1 to continue. I've reset the CMOS before and it has never done this. When Ubuntu loaded up I started surfing some pages before it hard froze. I worked some SysRq magic to reboot it, got back into Ubuntu, checked some logs, and found some network related daemon thinger was giving me some errors. I reinstalled it and everything worked fine after that. I haven't rebooted yet, though. So, here's my question:

Why?

I've gotten a Checksum Error when my date was simply set wrong. Simply correcting that fixed the issue.

You did boot using a drive with Windows 98 belonging to another machine right? Unpredictable things can happen as a result.

Ah, no. Sorry, I should have explained. Both OS's were installed on this computer, just on separate drives that I swap occasionally.

Ah, no. Sorry, I should have explained. Both OS's were installed on this computer, just on separate drives that I swap occasionally.

I was just wondering if it could have been bad code being executed that caused the problem leading to the checksum error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom