Video card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm far from being annoyed and understand why you are asking since that's how you learn new things. If you are able to order a new board it will likely be identical since companies only bulk order a few different model boards for each model line.

Getting the board in won't be a major project since someone with experience will know how to double check all connections and review the board's diagram to locate the correct pins for the front or top panel buttons/led lights,etc. there. Buying your own full version disk will allow you to see Windows reinstalled at any time.

Nothing feels better then when finally getting the last thing reinstalled on a fresh copy of Windows however especially on a clean drive. You'll see Windows moving like lightning for a period of time at least until the new copy gets cluttered again. I would start backing anything important up now however before making the final leap to protect anything unreplaceable.

For the motherboard installation I don't feel like bringing it to some repair store so all I'd need is a new motherboard and i'd have to buy windows xp on the disc and that would be that? I dont have to buy anything else?

Well, I really do appreciate your time and help. About the motherboard. I'll probably order that off newegg after he takes a look at the computer, but would you recommend anything kind of new but not overly expensive that would be good for the two cards I linked? And given it isn't the motherboard and this card works then I am not going to get a new motherboard, but if I have to get one can you recommend some good ones for gaming?

And what should I get for an OS? I got windows XP home edition. I'll probably get that if I have too.

EDIT: Would I also have to buy new RAM? What's the deal on that? Like if I got a motherboard with DDR2 800 would I need that kind? What's the deal on that.

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory That's what I currently have.

First you have to take a real look at the power supply besides replacing the board. A prebuild like that sees a 305w supply for the P4 board currently in. Another problem is ordering the wrong type of memory for any board you order from newegg. Even the two Socket 423 boards run DDR2 not DDR memory.

The idea of bringing to a shop would be to find out if the slot is actually bad and having them find a suitable replacement board. Otherwise you are practically looking at a new build by the time you end up with the new board(manufacturers recommend 350w minimum for atx boards), memory, a larger supply, etc. while EBay or some leftover replacement boards may still be found.

The first thing you may want to try there is a free System Info for Windows tool that will list everything about the hardwares and even softwares installed as well. It comes in two forms as a stand alone you simply double click once downloaded to a folder or the newer release that creates a folder in the Start>Programs menu. SIW Download - Softpedia

The general information page is seen at SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala It's a small and very reliable tool unlike programs like PC Wizard which sometimes give off false cpu temps due to being software geared over a simple basic information gatherer.

Once you know the exact make and model the board is you can run a search to see if another one can be found. For seeing a large update that would mean investing in all new hardwares as well as case and supply which you weren't planning on at this time. Ebay, Amazon, or another similar site may likely see the equivalent board that will drop right in while choosing a newer board?

I have a 700 watt power supply. That shouldn't be a problem. Im only getting a new motherboard if this next card doesn't work. If I brought my PC to a shop how much would it cost for them to check if the slot is bad or not?

Like, If I got a new board I don't really have a problem with buying new ram. Like if I got this motherboard Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards wouldn't I have to buy memory like this Newegg.com - OCZ Flex XLC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory ?

Not saying I am getting that motherboard I just quickly grabbed something off newegg. :-D If I get a new motherboard I would have to get new RAM if the RAM I have isnt supported right?

Most places would likely charge upto $25 to go through a system as a service charge. Some places are less. Try calling around first however if you end up going that route.

Unfortunately the Asus site when clicking on the specifications link is down for maintainence when going there from newegg. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

While the product page was down another another trip to the support page for the online user manual will show just what memory will run. The 1200 is standard but it will run on 667/800/1066 memory as well according to that seen at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

The OCZ memory you selected keep in mind is the standard not performance memory seeing slower timings. I gamed on an older build here without problems when seeing 2gb of Kingston ValueRam put to use. First you simply look at the online manual found at the support like I just did here to see what memory will run once you have a board in mind.

The 700w supply here is the OCZ GameXtreme model which has been doing a great job for additional drives and other addon devices. You'll have adequate power available provided it's a good brand and has enough on the 12v rails for newer hardwares. The premanufactured case however may be the obstacle for you however if the 700w won't mount.

How will I know if a motherboard would fit or not in my case? haha That motherboard I linked btw was just an example because I wanted to know about the memory thing.

If this third card doesn't work I am gonna bring it somewhere and have them check it out. If I bought the motherboard to install on my PC would they put an OS on it or? Would I have to buy that too?

When working with a prebuild and seeing a major hardware change especially a board only an autorized service center can actually reinstall the hidden recovery partition as well as the OS due to the new serial number and provide any recovery disks according to that. Those would be a special order however.

To simply swap boards you first have to know if the case only accepts a micro atx model if you happen to go for a full sized board. Then space and mounting the new board itself are going to be the concern. Some prebuilds see micros depending on model. That's also why you only find a small supply since the power consuption is calculated by them for a prepackaged deal.

Some Sony cases are not flexible enough to simply swap things out due to the case design like leaning to an AT type styled case over the usuial atx form you would see on a custom build. This is why I had to point out you may end up looking at a new build if you can't fit things in.

With a 700 supply I would simply start shopping for a new case to put everything in since that model was discontinued. You can then put whatever you want in and not worry if it will fit.

For the OS retail is expensive with most going for an OEM release with Vista now being geared for one build only. If you pay out a shop will see everything done for you for a hefty price while having your own disk allow you to reinstall at any time if necessary even when swapping drives out! Preinstalled means oops lost recovery partition.

After paying out big time for shop to go through everything including parts and the recovery disks you would already have a new build together yourself and a full install disk. With the new Dell XPS and other models you simply press a key or key combo to see the system brought back to factory state no longer needing a set of recovery disks for whatever comes prepackaged.

With your own disk with Vista now seen on a dvd you have to install drivers for the board and all hardwares yourself while saving the cost on labor. The smaller fee you would pay out at a pc repair shop or place like Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. would simply tell you if the board is seeing a problem and needs replacement before deciding.

Why buy more cards when that can be put towards a newer board you are already thinking about when you could simply save it for a new case to start with?

So if I brought it to a shop and my slot is damaged could they fix it? And how much would it cost if they did?

EDIT: What are the chances that the slot is damaged? Is it possible that the video card I got was just too good? I just don't see why a pci express card wouldnt work on a motherboard with a pci express slot. I expected it to at least be bottle necked a little bit.

On the 3870 by chance did you forget the additional power cord for the card? High end models by both NVidia and ATI require the extra power feed. In retrospect I went back in the thread to take a second look at the model card and... if you forgot that the card won't work!

If a slot is found "done in" no they can't as a rule. Those are pretty well non replaceable components since just the labor costs if a shop could order a new one would end up costing more then a new board.

The idea of having a shop equipped look at everything is to test the slot as well as that card and one they have onhand to see if the slot is toast, the card is defective, or you may have simply forgotten the additional power feed? High end model cards see the large sized vpu chip requiring that extra feed or you get nothing.

hehe sorry for not replying the past couple days. Been super busy. Get this. I plug the GeForce 8800 gt and guess what works? So that other cards must have been messed up or something. I hooked it up right hehe. I am assuming the extra feed is the second 6 pin connector in back right along the other one, correct?

Anyways, I wanna install the up to date video drivers. How do I go about doing that? I never did that on my old card. Should I uninstall the old drivers completely? Or should I download the new drivers and THEN uninstall? And whats best way to unisntall old drivers for new ones? Go to the add remove program? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom