Laptop or Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alienware is, excuse me, overpriced crap. You can build twice the machine for the same money. Unless you missed it, Dell bought out Alienware a while back... but they were junk before then.

If you want to seriously game, build a desktop tower. If you want mobility, configure a laptop somewhere else.

i would get both, but like i said...i cant (at least for now). thanks for the input guys, and sorry for being ignorant about LAN.

so, it looks like im going with a desktop...thanks guys.

and i pretty much do know how to build a nice machine for a low price, but if i really want a very nice/very high performance machine, i have to get up there for the price.

and as for Alienware being dell....it really isn't. there are associated on occasion...but they are completely different companies. Trust me, ive done my research on alienware...i havent been able to buy one, but ive been researching them for about a year. -Edit-:Sorry, i never realized they had been bought out-

thanks again guys.

is this one any good? (potentially...?)

-http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=192

You'd be much better off building it yourself. I went the cyberpowerpc route (same kind of company as iBuyPower) and it was horrible. I ended up ordering the parts for a better computer from newegg for $200 less than what they charged me. I won't even get into the customer service issues. It was like banging my head against a wall. I was close to filing a complaint with the BBB and getting a lawyer because they refused to cancel my order and issue a refund for awhile.

It's a decent computer but I'd change the PSU to a name brand one, as just "800w power supply" looks sketchy. Also, nvidia motherboards aren't the best unless you are planning on going SLI. GTX 260 is also not optimal IMO, I'd rather go with a 4870 for the price. They are also overcharging you for RAM, with how cheap it is now you could get much better RAM from newegg for cheaper. Also, Vista 64 bit is a must if you have 4+ gb of RAM and want to utilize all of it, 32 bit only recognizes a little over 3 gig (forgot the exact amount)

What are your quarrels with building yourself?

If you must buy a pre-built, I would say just get a barebones when they go on sale and throw in the components you want.

deffently go with the desktop because for one a desktop is alot easier to work wit than a laptop. for two which was already menioned you will get better performance.

i dont really want to build one from ground up...plus im half retarded lol. i just want to customize a nice machine, and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom