Laptop or Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mf1232

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a computer... We have a main desktop downstairs in the family room, but we've had it for a while, and it's slow and annoying. My older sister has a laptop, but seeing as how it's my older sister, she won't let me use it lol. So all in all, I think it's time to get myself a computer. I know with laptops I will enjoy the mobility, but I don't know if I really want mobility, or higher performance. With mobility I can bring my laptop everywhere (I know about Wi-Fi), But with the desktop it could support my gaming needs a bit better, and I know there would be almost no lag. (Depending on how my connection is and memory).

Anyways, please give me all advice possible, including personal opinions. I'm basing all of this on a $3,000 dollar limit.

I was looking at Alienware computers. I'm into the entertainment and gaming scenes... but I can't decide whether to get a laptop or a desktop... I know that desktops deliver better performance in most cases, but I feel like I should get some advice from people who are familiar with computers.

These are the two computers I was looking at:

-Alienware Area-51 m15x (notebook);
Area-51 m15x 15.4-inch Gaming Notebook Computer – Alienware

-Alienware Area-51 (desktop);
Area-51 Ultimate Gaming Desktop PC With Dual Graphics – Alienware

All advice is wanted and appreciated,
Thank You. :)

I would go with a desktop. They are easier to upgrade and to deliver the most performance then their laptop counterparts. I have one of each a Dell inspiron 6000 I got 2 years ago and a custom build computer I put together. My laptop is great for school and what not but I am limited in what I can do. I have fully upgraded it (about the only thing I can do is RAM and the battery). With a desktop you can more easily upgrade it to keep up with the ever changing gaming world.

Is there any reason why alienware??? I fell like alienware is way to expensive for what you get. I was looking to get one when I figured out that I could build my own that was the same thing for a lot cheaper. But if you really want one then go for it.

because alienware truly is the ultimate gaming system in my opinion. i know there are a lot of other gaming systems out there, but ive found alienware to be the best. better than dell and everything else when you get down to it... and i would just get both...a laptop and a desktop...maybe i will eventually, but for now i have a limit...

im only 15, and christmas is coming up lol.:D

thanks for the advice, i think im leaning towards the desktop...the only thing is i would love to be able to bring my computer around, friends houses and such...and that laptop has excellent specs for a gaming laptop...but then again my entertainment and gaming needs kind of outweigh that.

Everyone keep posting and giving any advice
thanks.

First of all alienware IS dell. And they are way overpriced, stay far, far away.

If you plan to game hardcore, then you almost have to have a desktop. Technology and the gaming scene moves too quickly for a laptop to be a viable option. In regards to which desktop, definitely build your own. You probably don't know how to right now, but after reading around you will find it is incredibly easy, and will cut your expenses by almost 50% in some cases.

If you must get a laptop, then the manufacturer is up to you. If you are ****-bent on alienware, then go for it.

**Also, the purpose of a LAN is for desktops. It's for people with similar interests to come together and game, but also show off their rigs and talk tech. I have seen very few laptops at LANs, simply because they are not fit for the fast paced gaming world.

Putting $3000 in to a tower for gaming... that'd be one mean green gaming machiene. Laptops are deffinatly nice for the mobility and bringing them to friends houses, but when it comes down to it, 2 years from now you can still bring the same tower that has been upgraded here and there and still show off, rather then have a beat up old obsolete laptop =P. I bring my tower to my friends houses every once in a while, and it is annoying, but it will deffintaly be worth upgrading it in the future.

Or be a shark. Get both. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom