overclocked processor and pc wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcass

Baseband Member
I recently completed building a pc that uses an Athlon xp 2800+ processor that was only running at 1.25 ghz. After going to amd.com I found a clock speed that was supposed to make the processor run at its regular 2.08 ghz. After I changed the clock speed and restarted the system and tried to turn the pc on again it just went on for about a second then turned off again. After I removes some of the parts such as the sound card and the pci lan card the pc will turn on however the screen is blank.

If it just turns off after a second it could be overheating. What type of HSF you got on that thing?

um will resettig the cmos stuff change it bak to wut it wus and then find out wut temps ur running at could be airflow related...

Gl\l0m!$h said:
um will resettig the cmos stuff change it bak to wut it wus and then find out wut temps ur running at could be airflow related...

speak english. Clearing the cmos will reload the factory settings for your motherboard, it should go back to a 2800+. Go to the PC Health Tab and see if your temps are high.

flash your cmos memory that you must do.
if you HAVE to overclock your processor do it in tiny steps.

If I overclocked the processor from 100 mhz to 133 mhz would that be the problem? I am using the heat sink that came with the processor. When I turn on the pc the notice on the monitor that it is not connected to anything goes away however the monitor screen remains black. At first I thaught that the vid card might have gor fried however I tried it on another system and it works fine. I also tried the ram and the hd on another system and they both worked. I got the info of what to change the clock speed to at this website. amd support website

I tried that and the computer would not turn on at all until I moved the jumper back to pins 1 and 2. Also when I was looking in the manual I noticed that I didn't disable the Spread Spectrum and the manual says to when you overclock or the processor will lock up. Is this the problem?

reset you bios, that should do it, my CPU is only overclocked a little bit, and i think im gettin false readings on my mobo, it says my cpu is running at 71 at idle, i think not...

I think his problem is that his processor is not running at the correct speeds for the model he has bought. That is definitely a overheating problem.

Is this the first CPU you have installed? If so, please make sure you are applying the heatsink correctly.

There are some very helpful videos of how to install CPU/HSF at AMD.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom