Looking into a new Processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azander

Solid State Member
I recently bought a new video card (nVidia GeForce 8800 GT Performance Edition 512MB) and since then my PC has been getting a lot warmer than usual. It's no huge problem, I think its just the power supply putting out a lot more heat.

Anywho, I want to get a new processor soon too, but I really don't know anything about them. I have an dual core 2.4 Intel processor right now. I would really like to get a quad core, but would getting a processor that is a lot more powerful create too much heat?

Like I said, I really don't know anything about processors. Anyone have any suggestions as to what one I should maybe get? I'm looking to maybe put $300 in to one. Any help? :]

Do you know the specific name of the dual-core because that clock speed really isn't enough, as far as I know it could be a Pentium D 830, Core 2 Duo e6600 or e2220,

You really don't need a quad core for anything right now, at least as far as I know. And yes the faster the CPU and the more you push it, the hotter it gets, then you may have to get a aftermarket heatsink and fan for it. I have a 2.8 Ghz AMD X2 and it runs like a dream. you really don't need more than 3Ghz with a dual core processor. My friend has a 1.8 - 2.0Ghz Intel something??? (not sure if dual core or not) and is able to play Crysis well with it.

I'm not entirly sure exacly what kind of processor I have, or motherboard. I'll have to wait till I get home from work to check. I actully have no idea how to check what kind of motherboard I have though.

And I do remember seeing 'Core 2 Duo' someplace or another. I'll check when I get home. Oh yeah, how do I look up what kind of motherboard I have? Thanks

If you have a program called CPU-Z, in the Mainboard Tab it tells you usually

In response to Digital_Jedi - Not everyone needs a high performance computer for gaming. While I do agree that quad-cores are not entirely needed for crysis or other games (and usually actually perform worse than high end dual-cores), the thread starter may need it for video editing or multitasking at a demanding level.

To answer a couple questions, the extra heat is more than likely created by the 8800gt itself, as these generally have poor cooling; rather than the power supply. A new processor may add to the heat, but with proper cooling on the processor itself, should be fine.

As for which processor, there are tons to choose from. Generally go with some form of intel quad core, specifically perhaps the q6600.

I'm looking at the quad core 2.4 Ghz q6600 right now. Like I said, I really don't know too much about processors. How much better would that be than a dual core 2.4 ghz? Someone tried explaining it once saying it'd be twice as good... but don't know if I'd believe that. I know there is a lot more that factors in to what would make a processor 'better' than another than just the Ghz, and core(s), but I guess I'm wondering about generalizations =P

SapperX.... Well I just speak in what I know and do. Other than a fancy type writer, I use a computer for gaming and thats about it... or the occasional programming assignment and what not. Crysis is about the most demanding of my PC resources and its has become a good comparison and/or benchmark for most people and their computers.

Alright, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Processor.

As for the motherboard, CPU-Z says the following:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0CT017
Chipset: Intell P965/G965
Southbridge: Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH)
LPCIO: SMSC
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16
Max. Supported: x16

I don't know what all that means, but that's what it says. So what would you guys reccomened I get for a new processor? Would a quad core 2.4GHz be a major upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom