laptop for my mum ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukas

Daemon Poster
Well my mum wants a laptop because she wants something more portable etc etc, her budget is around 500-700 POUNDS, any suggestions are welcome, i dont know much about laptops but i will probly use it for light gaming like WoW/warhammer and maybe cod2.

thanks in advance.

There are a lot of options, although I haven't purchased one since 97, i've heard Acer has some good quality laptops.

As for which model that is a little more difficult. If it was just for your mom, i would suggest something with extremely long battery life and low processing speeds, but if you want to play video games on it (haven't played the ones you've mentioned other than WoW) that may be a different story. Problem is for gaming you are going to want great graphics, lots of RAM, and a high processing speed. For portability sake, you can't go top of the line when you want long battery life.

Here are some laptops I would suggest for your mother.

Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX4420-5239 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-57(1.90GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon X1250 IGP - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX5620-4428 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2390(1.86GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory DDR2 533 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5520-5142 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-55(1.80GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M - Laptops / Notebooks

Oh didn't realize pound equated to "guys i can't use newegg."

I don't know who delivers to your area, but at least those samples give you an idea of what to get. Jeez.

pounds is England.. newegg doesn't ship across the pond.

as far as laptops go, dells vostro line is good, Acer's are nice, Compaq is for budget, hp is really good all around, Toshiba is a cheap space heater. Acer & Compaq are more for being on a budget, so I would really look into an HP or Vostro if you can still get them...

any proc will be fine, i'd stay with intel unless you're going to be watching blu-ray, then go with amd. Go with at least intel's x4500 gfx, or a dedicated card if you can. dedicated is always better, but the x4500 is most likely better than the 6150/7150 onboard cards. 3-4gb ram and a smexy screen and you're good to go.

Acer is a good choice for the sake of functionality - but I've also seen this brand ASUS that seems to be fairly affordable. Has anyone had any experience with these? If they are nice, that might be a good option, and you wouldn't have to deal with the brand-name bells and whistles.

HP is a good solid choice. Compaq, bought out by HP, is a good, solid budget choice. Bought a Compaq for my daughter in MAY of 2007 and it has been steady and is used a lot.

If she isn't into gaming there are a many good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom