ATI vs Nvidea... Learn me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of via, i was impressed with the nano. you can actually play crysis at reasonable framerates. that is more than what could be said for my old opty and 7900gs.

well it's also GPU dependent (I think the demo used some kind of Nvidia IGP), but the nano is definitely impressive in performance/watt
I'm trying to see what laptops will be using it. I want one.

The demo I saw had a discrete graphics card installed. It wasnt large though. It looked a lot like

Newegg.com - XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or something with a similar sized hsf on it.

One of the big advantages that nano has over atom is the use of pciexpress. I haven't seen any atom setups with anything other than pci. The nano's general performance proportionally is also closer to that of a desktop processor. I did the math, for the 3dmark 06 cpu score its ratio of points per clock is similar to an X2 6000+.

yeah, it's can do roughly 3 IPC. It'll have about the same performance as the earlier Athlon XP's, but using way less power.
K7 and K8 could do roughly 3 IPC. Though K8 could get data faster (IMC), which made it perform better per clock.

Do you know wen they will release Nano power netbooks? If they were competitively priced I would take one over an Atom.

I heard that they were going to put them in the mininote refresh, but nothing concrete. It would be a shame if Via can't get them in the market. The Nano is the superior chip. That Atom isn't bad, but it was designed for PDAs, not pcs. The Nano was designed form the ground up with mini-itx in mind.

My nforce4 was and is a great board. But the things I have heard about the newer ones have driven me away.

I think it just depends on certain boards, some can be pretty bad others good. The 750i FTW has been recommened so much, just like the 680i.

And the nforce 5 series on the AMD side is good too.

I heard that they were going to put them in the mininote refresh, but nothing concrete. It would be a shame if Via can't get them in the market. The Nano is the superior chip. That Atom isn't bad, but it was designed for PDAs, not pcs. The Nano was designed form the ground up with mini-itx in mind.

Theres a 15watt Athlon X2 coming out, i think it was clocked around 2ghz.

I have heard of that also, but I don't know when it will make it into netbooks.

Does anyone know where to buy nanos? All of the usual places that carry Via stuff don't have them. Are they OEM only? Seems counter intuitive since most of Via's cpu share is DIYers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom