Video Card Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
I was curious as what to expect from a new video card I ordered.. Its a Geforce 6200 256mb AGP card.. Keep in mind the video I have now is a crap on-board 64 meg. Im not looking to run the latest games in the highest resoulution, just want to be able to run them. I think the video I have takes the 64 megs from my Ram and allocates it to video. Also, I had to order a new power supply because mines only 250W and I believe the card requires 300-350.., Are power supplies standard, as far as will it fit in my case? Thanks

Matt
B CO 1/16 INF

There are standards for PSU's (like ATX) but if you have something like a Dell it may not fit. Also, you should see a nice gain in performance over your previous, but you should have maybe aimed higher, maybe something like a 2400/2600PRO....

As far as the power supply, I have a compaq lol... Will it fit?

Matt

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/
gives you a run-down of how they stack up against one another.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/video-card-power-requirements-154748/
tells you how much juice they require.

Ok im confused... For the GF 6200 model card it said 11-26 watts, did I just waste money on a new power supply? I could have sworn the website said it needed 300-350.

Matt

From what I've read of the thread they tell you what your whole system needs not just your video card

but that confuses me too

The card itself only uses 30w but it will most likely require a new PSU if your pc is outdated, what is your current psu and if you can, take a pic of the back of it.

The card itself only uses 30w but it will most likely require a new PSU if your pc is outdated, what is your current psu and if you can, take a pic of the back of it.

Im not sure what my psu is.. But its a compaq presario sr1300nx.. And its 250watts. I ordered an atx/sata 350watt psu.

Matt

Okay, i cant really find anything on it, but what new PSU did you get?? I would say you could probably run it with your existing PSU but it depends on how many amps are on one of the psu's rails... which i cant really find out.

If you posted before you bought the video card i would have told you to buy a new pc that would destroy your current setup for about $400 but whats done is done and im here to help you.

So yeah, what PSU did you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom