Noob CPU speed question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends on a lot of things... P4 vs C2D (or Q), nm size, what all is running, etc. Care to be more specific?

Basically if I had two identical computers (Ram, video card same, etc etc), But one was say a Pentium Quad process 2.3GHz, and one ran a Pentium Duo Processor at 3.0GHz, which one would be better?

Pentium Quad?! Core 2 Quad...

Can you show which specific quad's you're talking about and which duo's? Some are faster clock per clock in games or multitasking

Because Core 2 Quad's Q6 series are slower clock per clock compared to Q9xxx series, but those won't go as far in terms of overclocking..

e8/7/5 series Core 2 Duos and Pentiums are faster than e4/6/2 series Pentium Duals or Core 2 Duo's

Yeah sorry Im still not good with the lingo haha

Anyways, can you compare these two

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Which ones better? How would you compare the two?

Ok I see the multi-tasking difference now, quad just breaks it up for playing multiple games or doing many thing, I got it.

So is 2 x 512KB pretty good, and whats the difference between that and 2 x 1MB

ok so the e8500 has 2 cores, each running at 3.16@ stock settings
the q6600 has 4 cores, each runnig at 2.4 @ stock settings

its really give or take

right now a dual core like the e8500 will do better in most things because they are optimized for dual core cpu's. in the future more things will be optimized for quad core cpu's making the q6600 better in the future

now if u oc the q6600 to 3.16 the same as the e8500 at stock the e8500 will still prolly be faster cuz is the new 45nm, that is unless u are using a quad core optimized program

also if u want to overclock the e8500 is a godly overclocker ppl can run them up around 3.8-4.0+, the q6600 on the other hand, if u get a good one(low vid), can do around 3.6-3.7 but they get pretty hot.

another thing to think about is that the q6600's now days are more commonly coming with higher vids, so more ppl are spending more money to get a q6700 or q9550

btw a vid is the stock voltage ur cpu uses to operate, the lower the better, on a q6600 the lowest ive seen is a 1.20v vid(i had one :) ) but now they are rare to find when u buy one new. but if ur not gonna overclock vids dont really matter

so it come to this
dual core: better right now
quad core: better later

pretty much in simple terms,
gaming - e8500
game and photoshop/editing/encoding - q6600

but do note that if your not going to overclock at all the e8500 probably is a better choice, a q6600 at stock isnt all the best for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom