CPU OVERHEAT, help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
All right, heres my problem. i just built a new computer (almost completely new, the PSU, HDD, and cd drive are scavenged, rest are new), and on bootup it gives me an error:

CPU Over Temperature!
Press F1 to Resume

so i press F1 and everything boots up and works fine. this happens EVERY time i boot up. now a while back i was getting random shutoffs (not blue-screen, just turned off), which i took to mean that my computer was overheating. my response to this was to take my 2 foot diameter house fan and place it blowing directly into the case. this has removed the issue, i havent shut down at all since i did this (this thing moves a LOT of air, obviously). but i boot up my motherboards software (things to monitor cpu temp, fan speeds, etc), and i immediately get the error that my CPU is running at 100 degrees celcius (212 farenheit), while my motherboard is only running at 27 degrees celcius (about 81 farenheit)... is this even possible? i AM using the stock heatsink/fan, but i still have a hard time believing that my CPU will run past the temperature of boiling water without shutting down, and that it wouldnt heat up the motherboard at all.

Help!

Phate

Re: **URGENT** CPU OVERHEAT, help!!!!!

Yes it is possible. Can you give us more information on your rig? What make and model are your cpu and motherboard? Did you attach the HSF correctly? Did you plug in the fan to the motherboard? Is the fan full of dust and clogged? Does the fan even spin?

a few possible problems. Bad fan, insufficient thermal paste, heat sink not installed properly or your mb cpu temp gauge is malfunctioning

All right, my rig:

ASUS P5Q Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz Processor
VisionTek Radeon 4850 Video Card
OCZ Reaper 4gb (2x2gb) ram
FSP (Fortron) 550W PSU
80gb Hard Drive
Generic CD Drive

the heatsink i put on the processor had thermal paste already on it, i BELIEVE i installed it correctly, it was on there pretty tight, but some of the push-pins didnt go in perfectly (it was one of those screw-less installs with the plastic pegs)

should i worry about frying my card like this? i just got up this morning and its running at 151 degrees farenheit right now...

should i shut down and wait till i can figure it out to use it? or is it not a huge deal with the fan i have blowing into it

Video cards are meant to run in excess of 80 degrees Celsius. If the motherboard says your cpu is overheating, then it is overheating. Have you overclocked any?

Fan is Spinning (though only at about 2000 RPM), no dust because i JUST made the computer, and i have a 2 foot diameter house fan (like literally 2+ feet diameter) blowing into the case from the open side port, so theres TONS of air flow.

Ive had the computer running for a long while now without even a hiccup... i would think with a CPU boiling water it would probably have slowed down or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom