Upgrading PSU and MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
Due to a catastrophic system failure I need to replace my motherboard and PSU, so I figured I may as well take the opportunity to upgrade.

As far as power supplies go, I was looking at these:

Newegg.com - XION Supernova XON-1000R14HE 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 8800Ultra SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Thoughts?

For the motherboard, I'm not really sure what to look for. I haven't shopped around for PC components for a year so I don't know what the latest and greatest stuff is, but I'm hoping to keep my total budget under 400.00... preferably 350.00. I heard t

I appreciate all comments, suggestions, etc.

I agree completely... I actually am saving up to buy a complete new rig with the same MB and psu... I have read alot of good things about both

Dunno what they're smoking. All my crap, including quad, dual gpu, all 4 ram slots, several hd's, water loop, 8 fans and UV lights plus other usb peripherals runnin off 500.
^_^
i linked the 750 cause its just as cheap as the 520 for some reason. course it's not modular but whatever. i cared about modular psu's untill i realized i'm using all the cables anyway so nothings unplugged lmao.

my new rig gonna be using that mobo and psu as well.

wattage is the wrong thing to look at. Most gaming pcs only draw about 450-500 watts anyways. The important spec is amps, especially on the 12v rail. if it ha slow amps then you will get what is known as power sag, that means the rail dosent have enough juice to power your components and you will have a very unstable system.

Corsairs power supplies are all top notch. Stick with them and you wont regret it.

Ok well thanks for all the suggestions... I was very impressed by the amperage on that power supply so I went ahead and ordered it, but I am still not 100% sold on the mobo since it supports Crossfire and I'm kind of an nvidia guy. It looked very nice though, I am seriously considering buying it.

The nvidia chipsets are pretty bad right now. Don't get one. There are many horror stories from TF members involving them. I suggest you break your preference for nvidia now. Here at TF we recommend what is best for the consumer. That means we dont favor any particular company. Right now ATI's cards are faster and the Intel motherboards are much more reliable than Nvidia's lineup.

lol even when i ran nvidia cards i used intel crossfire boards. they're superior. this x38 is the best board i've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom