Need help on other things to replace for my GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

APAV92

Solid State Member
Hey guys and gals.

Here is my computer, HP Pavilion M8300F(GX611AA) Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT Windows Vista Home Premium: The GPU that it came with was an 8500GT, not a 6150 SE

83-107-513-11.jpg

Here is the graphics card I am replacing it with.
Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-98XES2P-FCP GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

My room gets no cross breeze or draft, so it gets very hot fast. I'm think about getting the Arctic Cooling Unit, Accelero S1 to help it a bit. Do you think both(if the S1 can't fit, its ok) will fit in there fine and lower the temp hopefully? And extra measures/steps I should take?

Also, is there any other hardware I need to replace to run this? Like my stock psu, do I need to replace that? And what would you recommend if yes?

And finally, I would really like to know if there is a good card out there that all I need to do is put it in and it will work fine. No additional parts needed. I really don't like doing all of this.

Thx for the help!!!

Change the Card to the HD 4850 and use the fan hack to change the fan speed so it stays cool, and/or get a 4850 with a good cooler on it.

What power supply is it? Chances are it might not be enough, but you can always give it a bash.

I don't know why everyone recommends the 4850. To me this GPU is much better and I think the can get up to the same heat. What is so good with the 4850? but I'll think about it because so many ppl recommended it.

Ok, I decided to get the 4850 instead. But do I still need to replace my psu?

Ok, I found my psu. Sorry for the wait:

DPS-350AB-8 Delta Power supply (Sirah) 350-Watt

Here's a non-angled view of the case:
83-107-710-12.jpg

83-107-710-08.jpg

So this is just my final questions. I am getting This and This. Size is my problem. Do you guys think I can fit both of those in there after taking the old hardware out? If yes, do you think that the fan speed hack will work for this case to cool it and maybe get some ventilation going? Finally, do you think I need an Accelero S1 Arctic Cooling unit in there(recommended by a friend) even if I increased my fan speed, and will it fit safely?

wow it looks like a tight squeeze in there, the 8500GT barely fits as it is lol, not sure on dimensions though but the airflow would be horrible.:eek:

I don't know why everyone recommends the 4850. To me this GPU is much better and I think the can get up to the same heat. What is so good with the 4850? but I'll think about it because so many ppl recommended it.

well, its not. let me count the ways the 9800 loses...
it uses more power
it takes up more space
it gets its butt kicked by AA
its slower
SLI scales terribly in comparison to Crossfire
did i mention that its slower?
sacrifices image quality for FPS (in crysis)
it has less stream processors
it typically costs more
and its slower :D

Ok, I decided to get the 4850 instead.
i l'dol here...

OK.... The 8500 you have in there is 7.5 inches long i believe. The 9800 you want is 9 inches long. From the pictures you have provided, it looks like it can just fit. If you want to run SLI then you just need new case because your airflow would be very bad. You do need a new PSU and one at least 500watt or more. ATI, nVidia.... me, I go with nVidia because I understand them and the ATI cards I have used and seen used have all had problems. nVidia all the way!!

^^lol thats a rather generalized statement^^
this is like the AMD/Intel argument all over again.
it's okay...i was the biggest AMD fanboy on the forum (besides Apok lol love ya dude) at one point...just saw the performance gap and decided to get in on it. still love AMD, but unfortunately their cpus dont kick butt like their gpus. one day soon, i hope...
but nvidia if you want, its your money. i was just debating the incorrect belief that the 9800gtx is a better card. overall, it isnt.

I'm getting the 4850 with a 450W psu. And I definitely don't want SLI or Crossfire cuz I don't want to put everything from that case in a new case! And besides, I want great graphics, not GODLY lol. I'll be happy as long as it fits and the fan speed cools it at like 70%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom