RAM Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Hey all its Gabb again, I was hoping for some input or a follow up on a previous question I had. My current system ( specs in signature ) has 2 gigs of Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I wanted to get this Ram but was a little weary and am pretty paranoid when it comes to Ram not working and getting blue screens ( as many of the people complained about in their reviews )
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

so I thought since my current ram works so well ( never got a BSOD and always have software related crashes ) I figured I could get another 2 gigs of the same RAM, and maybe even thought it could be cheaper since it was older
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
I guess I wasnt THAT surprised that its still expensive ( in comparison to other great deals ) since they probably no longer make it anymore. Anyone have any input on what I should do? Or is 4 gigs really not that big of a deal since I have a 32 bit OS still and plan to keep it for at least a year or two. ( so as I understand it with a 32 bit OS I would technically only have 4 gigs - video memory of 700 mb, 3.3 ish gigs of ram )

PS. Im assuming its a terrible idea to put another 2 gig stick of some other type of ram even if it has the same timings etc

BTW my computer is 1 year old

Re: Ram dilemma

thanks for the links, ddr2 1066 doesnt really seem that much more expensive so Im guessing there must be very litlte performance diff between that and ddr2 800? Any chance Im going to find 2 gigs of my G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ for cheap anywhere? ( I looked at the main websites ).

Also what do u guys think about my last question, is it even worth it since Im essentially paying around $100 for a 1.3 gig ram boost.

1.3 added gigs of memory is a pretty large boost in performance. What are you using your computer for.. Is it gaming, video/audio editing, or multi-tasking?

1.3 added gigs of memory is a pretty large boost in performance. What are you using your computer for.. Is it gaming, video/audio editing, or multi-tasking?

Is it really that big a boost in performance? When I last asked this question many said I wouldnt really notice the boost that much. I primarily just this computer for gaming.

thanks for the links, ddr2 1066 doesnt really seem that much more expensive so Im guessing there must be very litlte performance diff between that and ddr2 800? Any chance Im going to find 2 gigs of my G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ for cheap anywhere? ( I looked at the main websites ).

Also what do u guys think about my last question, is it even worth it since Im essentially paying around $100 for a 1.3 gig ram boost.

difference is you have to OC your ddr2 800 a lot to keep up with high FSB overclocks.
my reapers (1066) do 1150+ pretty easy with decent timings and stock voltage. ddr2 800 of late, that kind of clock is difficult without a lot of voltage and a fair bit of luck. not like the old days when we could get the sticks up to ddr2 1100 + with 2.25 and 4-4-4 timings (or better).
if you are running close to 400mhz fsb, ddr2 800 is fine. probably can get better timings at that speed, too.

difference is you have to OC your ddr2 800 a lot to keep up with high FSB overclocks.
my reapers (1066) do 1150+ pretty easy with decent timings and stock voltage. ddr2 800 of late, that kind of clock is difficult without a lot of voltage and a fair bit of luck. not like the old days when we could get the sticks up to ddr2 1100 + with 2.25 and 4-4-4 timings (or better).
if you are running close to 400mhz fsb, ddr2 800 is fine. probably can get better timings at that speed, too.

I'm running at 300 fsb and dont really plan to overclock any further since my temps get hot already in the summer and Im still at stock voltage for the processor. What would my timings be theoretically if I get ddr2 800 or ddr2 1066? I thought it was pretty hard to get a 1:1 ratio going on?

3:4 ratio is fine....i dont think you can even tell in real world apps

i'd just crank ur voltage up to 1.37/1.4 and set the FSB to 400, and the pair i have is from april, and its guaranteed D9GMH just like your set is in case ur wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom