chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gl\l0m!$h

In Runtime
hey i jus noticed that most of the high end boards had the intel 875P chipset and i wondered wut a chipset is. They seem to be a fairly important part if theyre going to effect the price a fair bit.
So yea, thats my question wut is a chipset and how important is having a good one?

i think a chip set afects how smothly and fastly ever thing performs...that's my guess.

o lol i thought every1 knew bout this cept me : ) Good to know other ppl have my prob too lol.

The chipset is what sets the FSB, a lower end board might have the 850 chipset which has an fsb of 400MHz, the 875P chipset has an 800MHz FSB but can work with a 400MHZ or 533MHZ FSB CPU. Also I think it has to do with the agp interface like the 850 set has AGP 4X and he 875P has AGP 8X or AGP 8X Pro. The newest chipset for intel which uses socket Lga775 has a 915P,915G, or 925X chipset. these allow the mobo to have things like PCI Express 16X,PCI Express 1X, and DDR2.

The chipset in so many words is the CPU's *****.

Processor : "Get me some ICED TEA !!!"
Chipset : "Okaaaaay Masta !"

Googled this shit up.

The chipset controls the system and its capabilities. All components communicate with the processor through the chipset - it is the hub of all data transfer. The chipset uses the DMA controller and the bus controller to organize the steady flow of data that it controls. The chipset is a series of chips attached directly to the motherboard, and is usually second in size only to the processor. Chipsets are integrated (soldered onto the motherboard) and are not upgradeable without a new motherboard. The chipset is comprised of one or more electronic components that connect such mainboard components as the processor, expansion bus, and internal memory. The speed of the mainboard is determined in part by the speed of the chip set used. After all, if instructions from the processor take a long time to be communicated to an expansion card, the speed of the entire system will suffer.

Hope that helps.

it does thnx, up till now i didnt bother looking at chipsets but i guess theyre pretty important...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom