Build suggestions and feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foran

Beta member
I'm building my second gaming rig and i want some advice or suggestions before i press the buy button. Im from Canada and buying everything from Tigerdirect. This is what i'm looking at so far:

Case:
ThermalTake Tsunami Series Aluminum ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Top USB, Firewire and Audio Ports - Black VA3000BWA in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. I'm getting another fan to put on the side.

CPU Fan:
Thermaltake V1 Multi-Socket 775AM2939754 Copper CPU Cooler CL-P0401 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. Should i get this or will the stock fan be good enough. I'm not a big overclocker BTW.

HD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM ST3500630AS in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. The Mobo im looking at might not work with this but i'm not sure. The mobo says only UDMA and this is SATA but i read elsewhere that it works with both idk

RAM:
Corsair Dual Channel XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Processor BX80570E8600 - 3.33GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. I was thinking of getting a q9550, what would be better for gaming. I want this rig to last about 2 years.

PSU:
ThermalTake Toughpower 850-Watt ATX 140mm Fan 2024-Pin SATA Ready PCI-E Ready Power Supply W0172RU in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. I've had a lot of bad experiences with power supplies, is this one good?

Video Card:
Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 Video Card - 512MB GDDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support 900244 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. I already have a 3850, is this a big step up/worth the money. Just out of curiosity how well would the work in xfire?

Mobo:
Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard - Intel P45, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, Firewire, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID in Canada at TigerDirect.ca. I'm really worried about buying a bad mobo like i did with my first build. Is this good/compatible with everything else. Is it easy to upgrade other stuff for it so it would last about 2 years?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

For some reason Tigerdirect doesn't have any better coolers like the AF7. All it has is thermaltake, Ultra, and Aerocool. Do you know a good site in Canada that has better power supplies and cpu fans. ALthough i would rather get everything from the same spot to keep shipping costs down.

And for some reason the e8500 and e8600 are the exact same price on tigerdirect. So i guess i should go with the e8600.

Ok i changed the psu and ram to what you suggested and saved a lot of money. Why should i change them, just because they're cheaper, do they perform better or just as well?

How much should this cost. On Tigerdirect its about $2000. Am i paying to much for this or is this a regular price. I'm pretty sure Newegg is cheaper but we dont have that in Canada yet.

All the prices on tigerdirect.ca are a rip-off IMHO

try directcanada.com for better prices and choices

take the 500 gb hard drive in your example, it sells for $80 on tigerdirect with only 16mb cache.

the same sells for $60 for 16mb cache and $66 for 32mb cache on dc.

You'll end up saving atleast a $100 on your rig + free shipping on your rig for the parts u advertised... and no i dont work for dc lol

ordered alot of parts from tigerdirect before and always turned out to be a rip-off. now waiting for newegg.ca to launch to see more price cuts from the rest..

anyways good luck on ur rig bro

Nice, everything on that site is a lot cheaper, especially video cards. Too bad there's a lot of stuff out of stock. I might buy half and half, but i'll probably wait till newegg opens too cause it cant be that long now.

Thanks

Just checked out NCIX, way cheaper than TD. I calculated it all and would save close to $400 by going with NCIX, that's a good chunk of money. I'm never using Tigerdirect again, there selection's not even as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom