Video card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read the whole post, so just throwing this out there as it has happened before. If your motherboard has two video card slots make sure it is in slot 1 (closest to the CPU usually) otherwise you will get no video feed from the card.

So how would I know if the slot is bad? Get the new card and see if that works? lol

edit: thanks for ur patience with me. I am very newb and prolly looked retarded,but now that the video card is out what steps should I take? Like what order? Put the video card in? or disable then put card in and hook monitor? Im clueless now. lol

EDIT: The new card is where my old card is. Im sure it's not the wrong slot. I think theres only one anyways.

I know lol I installed my old video card and it took 20 minutes. This one is a major pain though.

Is it possible I just did something wrong? I know I put the card in right. I took it out and put it back in a couple times. Should I put the card in and THEN connect the two 6 pin connectors? Thats the only thing I can think of that I havent done yet while putting the card in.

lol it doesn't matter in which order you plug the card in / plug the power cord in. If you have tried it a few times and it isn't working it obviously has to be something else. My guess is faulty card. (if your old card worked then it can't be faulty PCI-E slot)

I would send it back

You are probably right, but I alrdy did send it back and this is yet another faulty card? My god **** luck. I got it off newegg I think I am just gonna get my money back and get a less powerful card for now. All I really play anyways is Warcraft and COD4 and some turn based games. Could the PCI-E slot have gotten damaged when I took the old or put the new card in? I didn't use a hammer or anything, but worse case scenario is it is the **** slot. I am moving to Florida soon and I can't really afford a new motherboard or a new PC. lol :freak:

Any recommendations for a new less powerful card? Something that owns up my old ATI Radeon x800xl though. :p

EDIT: I almost forgot to ask this, but is there a list of video cards that my motherboard supports? Or should it be any card that is a PCI Express slot to my mother boards pci express slot? I was browsing a website and it showed the card im having trouble with the motherboards it is supported with. Mine wasn't on there,but it said just random motherboards tested. Just wondering that.

You wouldn't go with one of the latest PCI-E 2.0 models cards since the board there sees a 1.1 slot. It looks like you simply got in a bad card. If you didn't force or twist the card while lowering and pressing it down inplace the slot wouldn't see damage.

For seeing another ATI model that won't cost a fortune the mid range MSI Radeon HD 2600XT 512mb model has been working out well here. Depending on your price range that was bought for $135- last August and now only sees $66.99 at newegg. Newegg.com - MSI RX2600XT-T2D256EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

MSI sees a great performance card and quite reliable whether ATI or NVidia driven. That would make the older X800 look it was standing still. Unfortunately you send the other card back already since you could have applied that plus credit for a lower priced model like the one seen there.

I went with this. Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I was told that a PCI Express 2.0 x16 would work with an old 1.1 slot. Am I correct? And so that card should work. Right?

Is there a way to visually see damage the video pci slot? I doubt it's damaged. I think my problem is just a too powerful of a card for an old motherboard. Let's see what happens. I talked to some computer geek friends of mine and half of them recommend I go for that card. And it should work.

Personally I run the MSI model here and run just about any game with high detail settings and even antisotropic and antiliasing set at 2x on a card now seen for quite a bit less. Either card should go right in and work since it far less likely you saw any damage to the slot by simply having gone easily when installing and then reinstalling the card.

It isn't always clearly visible if you just happen to bend one of the contacts somewhat where it lost tension to press against a contact point on a card. But usually something like that is seen when forcing a card in too hard. If you have the old card in you'll find out fast if that happened if you know the card is still good.

Unfortunately my old card died. So I really have no way of finding out. If the slot did get damaged what do I do to repair it? Or is it tough luck and I have to wait till I can afford a new PC ?

You think that card I chose will work even though its 2.0? Because it looks to be **** good and when I do buy that 800-1000 dollar computer in the kinda near future I will have a decent card to put in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom