Thoughts on upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I was considering getting an HD 4850 for my current rig. There were a few concerns I had with this thought. First, the card is 180 dollars, which I know is an incredible price for the card, but in reality it's stretching my price range. On top of that, I'd need to spend money to get a new power supply, which would be another hassle. Then, I'd have to worry about having the room in my case for the lengthy card (I have a mid tower, it would be a close call), and hope that the card does hit the power plug thingy (forget the name, I can't think at the moment :p) on my motherboard. The card also runs a bit hot, and my case is on the warm side as well.

So, I'm thinking of getting the HD 4670 instead, and most likely the 1gb version. It'll fit in my case, stay cool, won't have to replace my psu. I also wouldn't mind doing some nice overclocking to crank it up a bit more. I play on 1280 x 1024 resolution, so I don't need as high end of a card anyway.

My question is: Will the performance of a 4670 be a significant boost over an 8600GT 256mb (that runs hot)? And will the card be able to play all of the current games on high-very high settings at my resolution (sparing Crysis, of course)? From the benchmarks I saw, it was considerably better than the 8600GTS (Seen all different results though), but I just want to make sure that I won't regret this move, and that there's nothing else I should know about before buying this product. Also, when will the 1gb version be released, and are there any new graphics cards coming out soon that will make me upset that I bought a card too early? Thanks for any advice or input.

-Ethan

HD 4670 is = 8800GS/ 9600GSO

It's a good card for the money... (also just so you know there is a 9600GSO for $50 after MIR) but stick with the 512mb

The 1gb is too little for the measily 128bit Interface to handle (even for a 256bit its not good unless it has GDDR4 or 5 RAM, but that's different) it'll cause performance drops even at high resolutions

After looking at this benchmark: PCGH - Test/Benchmark: PCGH Review: Radeon HD 4670 and HD 4650

I'm very excited to get this card. I also heard it's pretty easily and nicely overclockable, so it should be able to keep up with the 9600GSO, 8800GS, and 9600 GT (On 1280 x 1024 at least), and whoop my current card, a hot 8600GT. And for the price, size, temperature and power draw, I think I'll be quite satisfied. :D

Now I just have to wait a few more weeks for my birthday so that other people will buy me it :p

In a few weeks there should be some more 4670's released, so I'll have my choices of which one I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom