moving files from administrator account to another user account

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhernandez

Beta member
I have xp pro installed as my os. In the administrator account, I have outlook express as my default email program. I would like to move my email files to another user account. Can I do that, and if so how?
Thanks

sounds like you will need to export the files first. Click on File -> export. Save it to some where on the c: and then import the files when you are logged in as another user.

outlook files are saved in .pst - .pab - and .ost extensions.

You could do a search for such files and copy them. You will want to make note of the path, usually it is in the users profile located under "Docs and Settings."

If you copy that file to the "Users" profile using that same path, it should work out.

Also, make sure that everyone has permmissions to those files.

Thanks for your responses.

When I try to export messages, I get an error dialog box that reads:

The export could not be performed. An error occured while initializing MAPI.

I was able to successfully export my address book.

Also, thanks for the idea of just copying the files, but I'm using Outlook Express, not Outlook.

Thanks again.

This is simple if you are using Outlook Express for both accounts.

All messages (inbox, deleted items, sent items) are stored in a folder under each user account.

1. Log on to the new user account and open outlook express.
2. Go to File>Import>Messages. Choose Microsoft Outlook Express from the list, click next.
3. Choose "Import mail from an OE6 store directory, click next.
4. Click on the browse button.
5. Now you have to find the store directory. First make sure you have your hidden files visible. Then find C: Drive>Documents and Settings>Administrator>Local Settings>Application Data>Identities>Some long gibberish file name>Microsoft>Outlook Express.
6. Once that Outlook Express file is highlighted, click next and it should start importing your messages.

Let me know if this doesn't work. I have done this many times and sometimes the folder setup is a little different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom