Urgent Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerosinek

Baseband Member
I was on my laptop today on the internet and out of the blue it blue screened. It said something about _KERNEL_ but the screen was only up for a split second before the screen went black. I shut the laptop off and restarted it but after the Compaq screen, before windows even boots, I get a message in the top left hand corner that says:

A disk read error occurred.
Press ctrl + alt + delete to restart.

Anyways, I went into Bios and ran the "Primary HDD Self-Test" and it failed. I'm not really sure what I'm doing in BIOS Ill admit, but I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it. Is my hard drive dead?

The computer is a Compaq Presario if that makes a difference.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

If you can, can you boot up into Safe Mode? If so, anything that is important please transfer to either Flash Drive or burn to CD/DVD as soon as possible.

Others will come along and give sound advice but if your harddrive is failing you need to get your important stuff copied to other sources A.S.A.P.

Start shopping for a new drive. I'd put your bad drive into an external enclosure. If there's any life left in the drive you might get lucky and salvage your data. Don't waste any time on diagnostic tests until you recover your data.

There wasn't anything on that hard drive except for a few games, so it's no big loss. Luckily it was still under warrantee so it's being replaced free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom