Different CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flegma3124

Solid State Member
Hey dudes, im sorta new to this COMPUTER stuff, and im hella confused. Can anyone tell me what the different letters mean next to the CPU speed, like 3.4E GHz, or 3.0C GHz??
What that be??

The 3.4 E is the extreme edition which uses a precott core (faster). The 3.0C uses a canterwood core which is fast but not as fast the the 3.4 E. Both have 800 mhz fsb but the 3.4 E has a larger L2 chache memory.

Nikkon said:
The 3.4 E is the extreme edition which uses a precott core (faster). The 3.0C uses a canterwood core which is fast but not as fast the the 3.4 E. Both have 800 mhz fsb but the 3.4 E has a larger L2 chache memory.

No, no:p

EE means Extreme Edition, which are Intel's flagship, they are VERY expensive at $1,000 a piece:rolleyes:

The lone E stands for Prescott core, which is newer, and runs much hotter then Northwood. Despite its weaknesses it is unfortunatly the Intel future, though most agree that you should not buy a Prescott for anythign but hard core video editing and math crunching unless they are higher then 3.6ghz.

C is for Northwood, not Canterwood. Northwood is the older, cooler running P4 core. It is faster then Prescott in gaming, but the Northwood line stops at 2.4ghz:(

Canterwood is merely a chipset name, aka i875p;)

Owhh and wrong forum:p

Nikkon said:

E=prescott

EE=extreme edition

C=northwood

oh oops, i forgot to refresh . . . didnt realize merlin had alraedy replied . . .

also northwoods stop (for 800FSB) at 3.4GHz EE

kool, thanks guys, i just thought it was for like different motherboards or something, i have a hella lot of other question, like wat buss is and this l2 cache, heel, if anyone wants to u can explain everything to me bout comps. hehe

Flegma3124 said:
kool, thanks guys, i just thought it was for like different motherboards or something, i have a hella lot of other question, like wat buss is and this l2 cache, heel, if anyone wants to u can explain everything to me bout comps. hehe

Cache is what the CPU uses to store what it predicts will be next used. So the larger the cache the faster and more it can predict. Unfortunatly the more cache though the more expensive the CPU is because cache is very expensive, and thus why the top CPU's, the P4 EE and AMF64 FX, have the most cache of their lines, 2.5mb and 1mb, respecitvely;)

The FSB(Front Side Bus) is the speed at which the CPU receives data and such from the rest of the components:confused:

koldapu said:
but be careful, cause if a cache is too big, then it hinders the performance

What?:confused: How does it hinder performance:confused:

If it hinders performance then why do the fastest CPU's have the most of it and server CPU's EVEN MORE of it:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom