Wipe Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

heifsin85

Baseband Member
When i go to my dekstop, nuthings there anymore, its just the backround, no taskbar, no my computer, nuthing. I was planning to wipe my harddrive before, so instead of working my ass off on fixing this problem i though i just might as well wipe my harddrive. I have no floppy disk drive and im windows 98. I went into BIOS, and changed hardrive to number 2, and cd-rom to the top. But when i put in windows 98se nuthing happens, just it goes back to the desktop after the compaq logo and windows 98 logo appears. Isnt the windows 98 cd supposed to load up and i follow the intructions. Wut do i do to wipe it out now?

Hmm.... is that an original CD or a copy? Double check your BIOS settings and make sure the boot order has CD before the hard drive.

Let us know whats up.

My computer just started doing the same thing but im running Windows XP (Im going to reformat it when i get home). If I ctrl alt del then log off and then log back in a few time I can get the desktop to work.

But as to your problem, make sure that your first boot devise is a CD-ROM.

Ya i tried to log off and stuff too but no luck. Back when i was a newb and didnt know that much about hardware of computers, i took my laptop to bestbuy for them to format it and install iwndwos 98se, because it had win200pro. and i gave them a burned windows98se disk. and when i got it back windows 98se was on it so the cd works, but yes it is a burned cd.

Burned CD's work fine with me. all my windows are burned.
I had this problem before and I had to pull the power off my cd burner because the BIOS saw thatone as my "CD-ROM"
So if you have 2 CD-Roms you need to try the other one or disconnect one

I think i know whats going on. I had a similar thing happen. CHeck your MSCONFIG and make sure your boot files are checked. This if they were unchecked it could cause the drivers and other important files needed from loading. Get to your task manager, ctrl alt del, and go to file/run and type MSCONFIG. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom