Oil Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSnake

Baseband Member
I had a look, but couldn't see an old thread about this (perhaps Im just being dense), but has anyone ever tried oil overclocking?

Its been about for a while, but having recently built a new computer, I am now in the possesion of an old computer which is quickly running its road as a useful computer.

Currently I use it for overnight downloads as it runs a _lot_ less electricity than my main rig, but I was looking at various methods of OTT o/c, and oil o/c seems like the most easy and cheap, but has anyone here actually done or know someone personally thats done it?

If I do get round to it, I will take photos and let you know what speeds I can get!

I don't know about cooking oil, but a few weeks back someone on tech forums was talking about using mineral oil as a cooling agent. The concept (like yours) was to submerge the entire pc in a fish tank full of the stuff. Kinda hurts the resale value when all of the components are gooey.

yeah mineral oil seems to be the best stuff as it does go funny after a while.

TBH its not really worth anything anyway (maybe get a few hundred for it), so I mose well try that!

3200xp AMD, (so thats 2.2ghz off the top of my head!), 9800pro radeon, 2gb of generic alright memory, KA8 mobo or somesuch (pretty much onboard everything.... sound, network).

Fairly basic 32-bit setup from a few years ago.

I was running it up until fairly recently for major use. I managed to get Half-life 2, Oblivion and Quake 4 running on it with decent FPS, (though pretty much all the settings right down or off).

I reckon I could some decent speed out of it with some oil!

Wow that really is an oldie. I don't think you would lose any sleep if your experiment didn't work. Best of luck to ya. Veggie oil is pretty cheap so it should be easy to do this.

Ya i read up on doing this. Just have to make sure to remove all your fans on the motherboard and video card. Or just unplug them. Also you can't put hard drives optical drives, or the psu in the oil.
Make Ur PC Faster Oil Cooled Pc - Video

Wouldn't the oil eventually heat up though? Also water cooling seems like it can be almost more effective since you water is running over the blocks at a fast speed and carrying the heat away unlike this where the oil isn't moving at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom