Nagging Computer freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okwiry

Beta member
I got a problem with my PC though that I need help with.
I have a P4, 2.4 Ghz Processor speed, System model is VIA M266 . Anyway, no big deal about that. Problem is, my PC keeps on
hanging most of the time, at no particular interval. Sometimes after I
switch it on it hangs after 1 hour, sometimes 10 minutes,30 or even
after 2 minutes. Weird thing though is that, when am playing games on
it Like GTA or King of the Road, Freelancer and the rest, it
doesn't hang, even if am playing for 3,4 or 10 hours. Which is
strange, I have tried checking my RAM, Fan, Heatsink, and they all
seem fine.Though I got an Onboard VGA card, I tried putting in an AGP
which has better graphics, but it's still the same thing, so I ruled out
the Graphics card. I am now suspecting it could be my Power Supply ATX
2.03 with an output of 300W model 300x. Do I need a power supply of
more than 300W, lets say 350w or 400W? or what could be the problem.
Because when it hangs everything is running, even the fans. So everytime when it does that I have to press the restart button and start
all over again which is really becoming a pain. I really need your
help.

Thanks
Okwiry

Check your system or cpu temps, to see if anything is running hot. If that's not the case then go to start, then run, and type eventvwr.msc and check for error logs in application or system.

I installed a S/W speed fun yesterday,which gives me details of the temperatures on the heat of the CPU, Motherboard, and the fan speed. Seems like the motherboard heats up a lot coz its hows the temperature at around 70 and 74 degrees. The CPU is at 34 and 36 around there. Could that be the problem, that my motherboard overheats? And am beginning to think it could be coz of the onboard VGA, which has this heatsink like thing on the motherboard, but I presume its normal for them to heat up, but still it causes the motherboard to get hot, could this be the problem? By the way, I went to start>run> then type in the event thing, what exactly am I supposed to be looking for, coz I didn't understand most of the things, there were so many reports

It could be a bad driver.. Have you installed anything new lately? Has it always randomly hanged? Or has it just started recently? I assume you're not overclocking anything..

Am not overclocking, and its not a driver, actually I was given the PC and it has been like that ever since I got it, the guy who gave me told me thats how its been since he got it. He got it when it was already assembled. I have formated the whole PC several times and put in new OS but nothing. I think the problem is with the H/W but am not sure what it could be, its just a pain. Dont know what to do!!

I went to start>run> then type in the event thing, what exactly am I supposed to be looking for, coz I didn't understand most of the things, there were so many reports

When it opens up, on the left hand side click on system. Then it will show all the events and logs. Look for red X's that say error, double click on that and read the description. It shows what time the error occured and if you don't understand the error, copy and paste it in this forum and someone will tell you what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom