i want one of these

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
i dunno wether or not i should get one as ive already got a laptop but the thing is im a IT Technician and every day i take a leather breifcase with me to work as i go to different schools and the normal laptop can fit in my briefcase but its a tight squeeze but with this it wont take any space atall so im really asking for yo9ur guys help?

heres the link

Netbooks - John Lewis

Yep. Netbooks are really taking off. Right down the street from my school (where I am at) there is a Microcenter that sells alot of different models.

Here are some models for you to look up:

Asus EEE- Many models, ranging from a $250 VIA cpu to the $500 model with an atom processor, larger keyboard, hard drive, and over 7 hours of battery life.

MSI Wind- Better keyboard. Better bang for buck. Crap battery life.

Acer Aspire One- The best bang for your buck. An atom CPU and a bigger keyboard for around $300.

Sylvana Gnetbook- Runs the gOS operating system, but they are about to release a new model with the Atom.

Lenovo Ideapad S10- A bigger name, more reliable, and a great price. Battery life is par, about 3 hours, build quality is expected to be higher. They are accepting pre-orders.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9- Its dell. Need i say more? A good price. Average battery life, but supreme customization options.

I'd like to note there are reports of the Acer Aspire One's SSD being too slow to run anything other than Linpus (the built-in linux OS) so I might would go for the hard drive edition of such a netbook.

I have worked on the Netbooks from Acer, the single problem I can tell you about is the fact that the RAM has one slot on the top of the motherboard and the other slot on the OTHER side of the board. In otherwords to get to both spots to upgrade the ram you need to take the computer COMPLETELY apart.

Its a nice laptop, but can be an issue if you need/want to upgrade the RAM.

I have worked on the Netbooks from Acer, the single problem I can tell you about is the fact that the RAM has one slot on the top of the motherboard and the other slot on the OTHER side of the board. In otherwords to get to both spots to upgrade the ram you need to take the computer COMPLETELY apart.

Its a nice laptop, but can be an issue if you need/want to upgrade the RAM.

Do you know if anyone produces/sells extra batteries for the Aspire One?

My main problem with it is low battery life compared to the EEE 901 which gets over 7 hours.

The Aspire One is definitely better priced, though...

I have a regular aspire that I've had for a little while now. I used to carry around a older inspiron 5100, but I grew tired of the weight and the poor design. It still ran like a champ, but the poor design prevents it from being on any surface that absorbs heat too much... like... a lap :)

Anyway, I still stand by my aspire. Have had zero problems. It's not the newer One model but it still weighs less than the Inspiron 5100 and has about double the battery life (about 2.5 hours/avg)

This is the one that it replaced
Dell Inspiron 5100
This looks exactly like it. It still runs but the hard drive just started to hiccup during spinups... I could've just replaced the drive, but I wanted to get something with internal Wi-Fi, weighs less than a mac truck and more than 32MB memory for video. (Yes the Inspiron 5100 is about 150 years old... lol .. seriously though, it's about 5 or 6 years old.)

So far I've had 4 different persons come up to me questioning why I would get an Acer laptop and actually depend on it. On all occasions I asked if they've ever used one and 1 person actually said that they used to use one for about 2 weeks from a friends inventory while the friend was trying another one out. The other people were basing their opinons on "The ratings and comments" that they found on the web somewhere. 2 of the 4 actually had the balls to base their opinions off of BestBuy (or the like) "Floor Models" LOL... anyway, I've actually used one for quite some time now and can honestly appreciate it. Doesn't belong to a company either. I treat it well, and it treats me well. Could weigh JUST a smidge less... but the battery life and the power are pay offs from the extra weight. And it still weighs less than the Inspiron. I know that the 5100 is an old model, but as for power notebooks that get knocked around... drop every now and again, I stand by it.

Again, it's not the "One" but if it comes down to trusting Acer as a brand... I would buy another one based on my own experience

Do you know if anyone produces/sells extra batteries for the Aspire One?

My main problem with it is low battery life compared to the EEE 901 which gets over 7 hours.

The Aspire One is definitely better priced, though...

There is a version of the Aspire 1 with a 160gb hard drive and 6 cell abttery whcih gets ~5.5 hours of battery life. It's not widely available yet but from what I have read it shouldn't cost much more than the current model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom