Problems with a newly constructed computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
All right, so I just put together a new computer (HD and PSU salvaged from my old computer, new mobo/cpu/video card/ram), and when i plug the ethernet cord into the plug on the motherboard, nothing happens. even though the plug has the little catch on the top, there is no click on the port... and i dont get connectivity.

had some issues with USB power too...

i dont have much experience wiring a PSU, so its possible i wired it wrong...

the mobo im using is:

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q SE/R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I may have wired it wrong, i was at least able to figure out plugging in all the weird 1-pin connectors for the front power button and such, and the computer runs, i just cant get internet, and some of the USB plugs (or at least they are able to take USB plugs, i dont have a faceplate for the mobo on the back, so its just the female plugs with no metal casing around them, its a verrry sketch looking computer right now, terribly wired, no side panel, no back panels, etc.) dont work...

any ideas?

-Phate

Re: Problems with a newly constructed computer! **URGENT**

well have you installed the motherboard's drivers and such?

Without them your usb and Ethernet ports will not work

And if your computer power's on, then it's not a problem with "wiring of the power supply"

It could be that you haven't given power to the back ports, though i think your monitor would work if that was the case.

^ Try what tommy suggested.

well have you installed the motherboard's drivers and such?

Without them your usb and Ethernet ports will not work

And if your computer power's on, then it's not a problem with "wiring of the power supply"

While this is true, most motherboards will work without these drivers. What OS are you running?

As for wiring, you should only have to plug the 4pin and the 24pin plugs in and the motherboard should power the rest itself.

It may be the case that its defective.

try installing drivers first if your havent, thats would def. be why your ethernet isn't working although usb usually already does. are your referring to the usb ports from the headers (on case) or the ones integrated onto the mobo? the case heades are almost inpossible to stuff up tho, as the pins only allow for one way in. as meat helmet said off the need is the 4pin atx and 24 pin power cables to power all the mobo, so it could be defective...

what psu is it? checkthe 12v amperage rating on the sticker located on the side of your psu.

I found a few USB ports that work, but no, i havent installed drivers yet, mainly because until this morning i couldnt get my CD drives out of my old case.

now that i have, i plugged the big belt-like cord into the back of the drives, but there isnt a slot on the mobo for the plug...

its sorta a weird configuration, it is a full belt but on the top, the 2nd from the left, there is no hole, but there is nothing like that on my mobo, one of those belt slots is already taken for my HDD (obviously), and the other is a floppy drive

i have a hard time thinking that a newer mobo like this wouldnt have support for CD drives... is it possible cd drives moved to some new interface and thus i need to buy new drives or something?

without CD drives i obviously cant patch up my drivers (or my bios), which means i cant get an internet connection, which sucks.

in regards to your questions:

Im running Windows XP

i did connect the 4pin and 24pin, its just i wasnt really thinking about which of the plugs to plug in where, i dont know if each connector on the PSU (the basic 4 pin wide one, same one that powers Hard Drives and stuff) has a seperate designated thing to plug in to, or if they are all just standard. either way, the computer runs, but i still cant get my ethernet to work (which seems to be lack of drivers, as someone said), but thats because i cant plug in my cd drive, theres no plug for it at all..

any ideas? id really like to get this computer fully working without having to go buy a new cd drive (i already had to borrow money to get the case, because i made a stupid mistake of forgetting to check the mobos form factor, btw, the VisionTek Radeon 4850 is HUGE! like i had to move my HDD down to make room for it, and im in an ATX mid-tower, so beware if purchasing it [cant say anything for its performance, need to install drivers for it to function])

if anyone has any idea what im talking about, let me know what to do, i think i sorta know my way around computers (not everyone even knows what a mobo is, let alone be able to hook one up), but this is my first time doing a complete overhaul, my previous experience w/ hardware was installing a video card, PSU, ram, and a fan. never had to do a mobo/processor overhaul until now

From what i can tell by the pictures the IDE slot (for your CD drive and/or HDD) is located on the edge of the motherboard, its a big red socket. You will only be able to plug in two devices with this chord. To add more hard drives they will have to be SATA, a much newer interface.

So how exactly would i plug both my hard drive and my CD drive into that slot then? would i need to buy a new IDE cord (what i will call a belt from now on, because its easier)? or will one of the ones i have work (i have 2 that have 2 plugs on one end for peripherals and one for the mobo, but both are for either 2 HDDs or 2 CD Drives, and neither will stretch far enough. Also, does my mobo support SATA? i wouldnt have a problem buying a new CD drive if it meant i could actually have a working CD drive instead of kludging something together.

Sorry for the stupid questions, im very new to motherboards and such... much more of a software person :D

Also, if my mobo does in fact support SATA, any ideas on what CD drive to get or even a price range im looking at?

all right, i found a SATA cd drive, i saw that my mobo in fact has 6 SATA slots, and identified them on my mobo (they are currently unoccupied if they are in fact the rounded red ones in a 2x3 cluster), now normally i would order from newegg... but seeing as my computer is sitting there practically unusable (it can boot and operate, but i cant play games because the video card needs to be set up, and i cant browse the internet because the ethernet plug in the mobo wont work until i set up the drivers), i figured id just buy one tomorow at best buy. would this work? its a 5.25" drive which obviously my case has space for, its Serial ATA (says SATA on the box), and its black, so it seems like it would work...

HP - 20x Internal DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive - HP DVD1070i

also, should i worry about cord length? ive got a ATX Mid-Tower size case, but it does look like a pretty far way to stretch a cord, unless they provide a long one... is that at all standard? or is it completely variant by manufacturer

Thanks for your answers, ill check back in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom