mouse clicks by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Motion Tablet PC with a USB optical mouse. The thing will click just sitting there. You don't even have to touch it. Sometimes right-click, sometimes left click. I have tried three other mice and they all do the same thing. Even the touchpad mouse does it, but worse. It just started this recently and no new hardware or software has been installed. A/V scans daily with Symantec Corporate. Ideas?

I have never heard of this before; very strange. The thing that strikes me is that it has happened with other mice plus the touchpad mouse. Therefore they can be ruled out.

Have you attempted to update USB drivers or chipset drivers? Something is corrupted.

Try running a LiveCD of either bartpe or ubuntu or something to isolate whether its hardware or software based.

I haven't tried any updates and these things don't have any floppy or CD drives so the live CD is out. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled each mouse with the same results. Maybe I can find a USB CD drive, but if the USB controller is bad I don't know if it will work correctly. Worth a shot though if I can locate one. I can see the USB controller or driver being bad, but the touchpad?

It seems to me the touchpad doing it rules out it being the usb controller.

You can load most linux distros onto a flash drive easily for diagnostic purposes. With ubuntu, you just install and pick the USB drive as the hard drive and it will work 99.99% of the time.

Touchpads usually use the PS2 port. Since mice and touchpads work in parallel, try disabling the touchpad driver in the device manager and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom