Random BSOD Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaping46and2

Solid State Member
Posted this in the Hardware forum, but I guess it should be posted here aswell.

I've got a problem with some random BSOD's in XP Pro. I've used MemTest86 without any errors multiple times. I have 2 sticks of Kingston Hyper-X PC4000 running in dual channel 400fsb, Athlon XP 3200+, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MoBo, and running Windows XP Pro with all the microsoft updates. I've checked all the BSOD error's on Google and many results i've found said things about bad RAM, but am very skeptical about that since Memtest86 doesn't turn up any errors. Every error I get is different from the one before it, never any repeats. Could there be something wrong with the MoBo? Could really use some help with this, thanks.

it would help to giv us a sample of the errors

but usualy it's some hardware problem. maybe you should check for old hardware or corrupted drivers...

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Athlon XP 3200+
Thermaltake Volcano 11+ HSF
Kingston Hyper-X PC4000 512mb (2x) Dual Channel
NEC DVD+/-RW
Samsung DVD
Maxtor 250gig HD
Sony Floppy Drive
ATI Raedon x800 XT Platinum Edition
Antec 500 watt PSU
5 80mm Case fans - (2-front, 1-top, 1-side, 1-back)

All of my hardware is brand new came in a box, nothing was reused from an older machine. When I first built the machine I recieved 2 sticks of Kingston 512mb Value Ram which were both bad and RMA'd. I also used an old GeForce3 Ti200 till the x800 XT was released. Any help could be usefull, thanks.

This is a list of all the BSOD errors i've recived.

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area
Stop: 0x00000050

Stop: 0x0000008E
dxg.sys

PFN_List_Corrupt
Stop: 0x0000004E

IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
0x0000000A

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
tcpip.sys
Stop: 0x000000D1

dxg.sys

Stop:0x000000D1
afd.sys

USBPORT.sys

Stop: 0x0000008E
Win32k.sys

vsdatant.sys

Hrm. All of your errors are occuring on or around the same address. Perhaps it is a bad stick of RAM.

Could a stick of Ram still be bad even if Memtest86 doesn't give any errors in the tests? I've ran Memtest several times w/o any errors showing up. Are there any other memory testors that might pick up something Memtest doesn't?

gaping46and2

Did you resolve this ? I am having a similar problem and struggling to find an answer, with all the different BSOD's.

Tested my RAM and all ok.

Is there a utility to test Graphics card RAM, I have done a 3DMark ok.

Not sure where to go next as I dont want to send stuff back.

MSI Nforce K7N2 Delta-ILSR
Athlon XP 3000+
PC4000 512mb
NEC DVD+/-RW
Maxtor 200gig HD SATA
Hightech ATI Raedon 9200SE 128MB

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

Wrighty69

you could try running sfc /scannow to verify the integrity of your system files. But I'm guessing memory problems. I've had a pc here at work that ran memtest86 w/o errors but when i switched to known good memory the BSODs cleared right up

sounds to me more like an IRQ steering problem. Few things to try. Go into the bios and disable ACPI/Advanced Power Management, disable any unused com ports (if not using dialup you can probably disable both), have u installed any Roxio stuff? That has been known to cause problems. Basically, what was the last thing done/installed/upgraded/removed??? Try running each DIMM individually.

afterthought, make sure that nothing is on the first PCI below your AGP slot.

I have, i guess you could say "fixed" my problem. Atleast i've found out the problem with my setup. I had 2 sticks of 512 ram, running in dual channel, and I took out one of the sticks and tested with Memtest86 in each slot, and I found out that the frist two slots come up with errors and cause BSOD's, but the 3rd Dimm slot comes up clean, and doesn't cause any BSOD's as of yet, running for 3 weeks w/o any problems. I sent an RMA request to ASUS, and hopefully they'll responde soon and give me a new MoBo. Anyone ever had this kind of problem before? Never heard of RAM slots being bad straight out of the box.

I have just swapped my DIMM slot, we will see if it works!!.

P.S. Sorry for long response, I had to rebuild my system.

Cheers

Wrighty69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom