Building a pc for friends Bday

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Roberto

In Runtime
My friends mum has given me NZ$1000 to build him a computer, I have a general idea on what I want to get him but any reccomendations would be appreciated, here is the site I will buy most of the stuff from Ascent Technology | New Zealand Computer Hardware and Software Online Shop, here is also a website that lists the cheapest prices from allmost every pc store in new zealand PriceSpy - Compare prices for PC parts from New Zealand's online retailers.

heres what I have so far:

-e7200 ~175
-500gb samsung hdd ~100
-Gskill 2gb ddr2 800 ~70
-Raidmax ninja ~140
-Samsung dvd writer(sata) ~65
-19" monitor (havnt decided) ~250
-mobo (havnt decided) ~120-150?
-Graphics (also havnt decided, 9/8800gt? 256/512?) ~220?
-Powersupply (undecided) ~80

total = $1250, any ideas on undecided items and any changes to make it cheaper would be appreciated (without sacrificing too much performance, remember the budget is $1000 but my friend is willing to pay a little more (extra 150 or so) if it is a way better pc). It will be used for gaming, university work and websurfing. Operating system will most likely be vista x64 (allready have so it brings the price down)

Can you buy from somewhere else besides pricespy, their prices are pretty expensive. I actually just looked at some prices on NZ sites and they all seem expensive.

Price USA | Shop where you want <-- You can buy parts from Newegg in America and get them sent over for 5% of the cost of the total ammount, will save you in the long run.

Otherwise

E5200/E8400
P5Q/P5Q-E
2GBRAM/4GBRAM (DDR2 800)
Case, DVD, Monitor etc. Of choice
9600GT/9800GT/HD 4850 (4850 is the best, but if you can get the others cheap go for them)
Corsair 550vx PSU

You must remember that NZ$1 is US$0.66 so in US$ the budget is only $660. i only had a quick look at that website but i cant use it because im in NZ and its not a part of australia. Also ive spent thousands at Ascent and never had any problems (had one RMA process for a mobo, as soon as i told them it was faulty they instantly sent me a new one, no questions asked (arrived 12hrs later)), they are also one of the cheaper nz pc sites since they dont charge shipping. looking up prices for your reccomendations now

So how good is the e5200? i did a quick google search and saw people getting it to 4ghz on air, but is it any good for gaming? ill probly overclock it to 3ghz for him so he doesnt have to worry about it overheating or anything. Ill look up some graphics card reveiws today and see what to get get him, thoses three look promising price wise, mobo might be a bit expensive though. PSU looks good to me.

EDIT: if you think thats expensive, if i buy pc parts in town (new plymouth) everthing costs literally twice as much, sometimes even 3 or 4 times as much for some stuff.

EDIT2: Looked up all the stuff on newegg and it actually costs about the same after all (US$730=NZ$1227), but then id have to add %5 so it would end up costing around $50 more and id have to wait weeks to get it (also dont know how an rma would work with that)

EDIT3: ordering parts now comes to about $1300;

-samsung 500gb
-coolermaster cm690 with 500watt psu
-hd4850
-e7200
-22" benq g2110w
-2gb gskill ram
-cheapo dvd writer
-gigabyte ga g31m s2l (not too good but my parents have one and it does whats needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom