ARRRRGH...! cant make up my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol.. I can imagine how mad Ricanflow and Nosboost300 would be if you started folding with those GTX 260's (you'd just have to turn off SLI and run two of the clients.. hahahaha)

nos inst even folding much.

Nobody poses a threat to me except for prvrt. even two GTX 260's couldint fold as fast as i am. theyd get close, but im still a bit faster.

but i havent implemented phase 2, which willl boost my production quite a bit.

I cant afford to fold. My power bill is already twice as much as it was last year at this time and i didnt even use the AC or heater. Its all from my stupidly hungry pc. It stays off while i'm at work or asleep, i can only imagine how much i'd be paying if i left it at full load 24/7. Not to mention my apt would likely be about 90F.

Not as much as you think, i figured it out:
http://www.techist.com/forums/1441332-post6.html

You're seriously not comparing the electricity cost of an 8800GT to 2 4870s/260s and a quadcore at 1.4v are you?

You're seriously not comparing the electricity cost of an 8800GT to 2 4870s/260s and a quadcore at 1.4v are you?

Three overclocked 8800GT's, on full load inside two systems, and both have 65watt dual cores running
at 50% usage. Plus add on the 50 watts for the monitor on my main rig which stays on all the time too.

How much do you pull from the wall?? Im sure im pulling close to 550-600watts, with actual psu
load on both close to 475, thats how i got my figures.

So its a dollar per day per 8800gt? Thats still quite a bit of money just to leave a rig on. 3 bucks a day is enough to get chinese food every 3 days :) Priorities man.

No, its a dollar per day for all three dude.

The 475 watts is for all three cards, and both systems running together.

That chart is the combined cost for everything, so in total all three cards inside both
systems cost me around $30 a month.

$3 a day would be massive, thats like 1500watts daily, which is still only $90 a month.

lol if they live in a place where its a flat Electric rate, doesn't really matter then haha

hey team folding crew discussion...help me make up my mind lol...see what happens when i leave my thread for two hours? :p
v-dub..
the 2 4850's will have the same bandwidth as the 1gb 4870, right? so, they will have that available, and also supposedly give me higher framerates at my resolution.
i'm leaning towards the 4850's.
does anyone have any arguments, points, suggestions, ideas or whatever that would sway that decision?
the 4850's will cost 60 bucks more before rebate (not a big deal) and will end up costing like 20 bucks more after the rebates.
is the price difference worth it if something screws up (like im lazy lol) and i dont get the rebates?
help.

No, the 4870s have double the bandwidth of the 4850. GDDR5 runs at 4ghz effective compared to the 2ghz of GDDR3. With the tiny bus, you need the extra speed thath comes with the DDR5. The reason the 260/280 still runs DDR3 is that is has twice the bus width.

YAY! decision is almost made...
okay, so i will go with a 4870 then. i dont think i will need a more powerful card anytime soon. and when i do, i will upgrade PSU and get a 2nd 4870.
now, last question....
1GB or 512mb?
will the extra memory advance performance at high settings AA and whatnot at 1920 x1200? since the bandwidth with the gddr5 is there, the card should be able to take advantage of the extra memory (unlike say, a 8800gt 1gb), right?
i can get the Diamond 1gb for about 25 bucks more, or the HIS 1gb for around 80 bucks more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom