Computer won't start Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
I've had this build working for many months, and have never had this problem.

I woke up this morning, turned on my monitor, and had just a black screen. I remember waking up last night hearing it restarting and the Vista Start-up tune playing.

Anyways, I restarted the computer and it goes through the boot and enters the windows startup error screen. I chose "Start Windows Normally" the first time, all that happened was it would restart the computer and go to that screen again. I tried all the other options and the same thing happens, even when trying to boot into safe mode.

I got my Vista CD and put that in, the initial loading screen went to the end and then the computer restarted. I opened up my case and checked connections on everything and it was fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

it could be an error with the physical harddrive, they do have in my experience a habit of just going bad now and again.

Do you have another computer you could put the HD into, so that you can use the 2nd computers o/s to check the disk for errors?

This happened to me, and I just had to backup my files and reinstall windoze, but the HD still had errors, so in the end I needed to buy a new HD.

If you can, check it for errors.

When you say you put your Vista DVD in, do you mean tried booting from it? Your computer shouldn't restart from the DVD at all unless it's a serious stability issue. Usually the culprit of that is overclocking.

Yeah, I tried booting from it.....if I needed to format it, I would be willing to do that.

BTW, there is no BSOD and I have restored defaults in the BIOS.

Yes. They were not needed and did not serve a purpose. So i got rid of them.

OK, thats fine.

UPDATE: Swapped out hard drives. Same Problem. Removed and tested each stick of memory, same problem. Download memtest86 as a bootable iso.......but it doesn't boot memtest86. Any ideas for that?

I have it as an .iso on the cd and my boot priority is set properly. It will boot my windows vista cd, but after loading the initial files it restarts like it does when trying to boot windows.

No BSOD.

Did you burn the ISO as is or did you extract it first then burn it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom