Why do hard drives die so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
Today, I bought an external hard drive (yes yes, according to you people buying an external enclosure, and hd is cheaper but thats not my case)

And I was reading reviews, and saw that they die after 17 months or so. I have never had a hard drive die on me, but why are all this dead hard drives after exactly around 15 months keep coming?

Is it because of mis use? no defragmenting? viruses? Can someone please explain to me why this is happening? I find it very hard for a hard drive to work and then stop working after over a year.

BTW I bought the WD my book 500 GB external HD (it was 91 dollars with shipping and tax.)

Not all of them do.

I had a harddrive die that I used all the time for 4 years, another died after only a year.

Most last alot longer.

Its variable.

You gotta realize most people whose HD doesn't fail don't think to go back and write a review. :p

I think the average life is 4+ years, but I could be wrong.

I also think externals are likely to malfunction because they stand a greater chance of being moved when on...but that is pure speculation.

Well thats what the enclosure is for right? So they can move?

So are you people saying its the customer fault? not the manufacture?

I have a internal hard drive that is over 6 years old, and still works lol (to bad its 40gb 5400 rpm)

ive never heard of hard drives thats die that fast, ive had a old smasung hdd for 4+ hasnt died still working fine.

Same, but newegg reviews dont agree with that.

Just look at any external HD, not of them have over 60% 5 stars

Same, but newegg reviews dont agree with that.

There's the problem.

but seriously it's luck of the draw. I've never had a hard drive die on me.
I'd say most people with dead externals probably treated them like just another piece of junk. being rough with it and not takign care of it etc.

ive had my external for just abotu 2 years neevr had one problem with it yet. not sure if lifespan wuld have anything to do with how much u fill it tho mines only filled to 30gb out of 160gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom