laptop password??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtn9105

Beta member
I bought a gateway laptop with windows 2000 off of ebay and when I turned it on I find that the logon password is activated. The seller didn't give me the password so is there anyway to bypass or deactivate this password so I can use this computer?

Thanks for any help

You probably don't want all his crap on the computer anyway so i'd reinstall Windows.

Is this password the startup password, the one that you set in the BIOS, or is it a windows password, just so everyone can get a full grasp of what you are saying

I guess I don't know for sure which one it is but the prompt for a password comes up as soon as everything is loaded. It has the user ID that the previous owner put in place.
I've tried entering simple stuff like password with no success.

There are ways of doing this, let me rack my brains for a while. You can create a new user in CMD/DOS and also create a new password for an existing user. I need to remeber what you need to type, because i know ways of doing it.

Type mismatch encountered while running horris1st.exe, section "Signature":

"(...)this is why your PC will not (?!) crash"

Replace "not" with "now" and press any key when ready.

( . . . )

Error in User.exe. Replace the User and press any key when ready.

Try hitting enter, maybe its blank.

If you can't get it to work, you're going to have to Reinstall windows on that PC, simple as that.

rtn9105, this procedure SHOULD work but then again, you have nothing to lose, right?

This should work. It did once for me (on XP) when my bro forgot his password.

First, does screen saver starts after a few minutes od not touching your computer? It should, and if it does then proceed as following:

I suppose you have access to another computer (you starting this thread).

You will need an Installation CD - Windows XP or Windows 2000.

Prior to doing this, make sure that your Lap Top can boot from CD by checking and, if necessary, setting the boot option to (what a surprise!) CD-ROM.

I have tested the Console activating procedure using Windows 2000 Installation Disk (can't find XP in all these shelve and cables around me).

1. Place Windows XP or 2000 Installation CD into the tray and load it
2. When and if required, press a key to boot from the CD
3. Wait for Preinstallation Enviroment (PE) to load
4. Press "R" to choose second option (Recovery)
5. In the new menu which appears press "C" to choose first option (Console)
6. Choose the Installation Directory options accordingly by entering appropriate number, range from 1 to 24 (Number 1 will probably be the right one)
7. You should be seeing a prompt (something like: "C:\WINDOWS\").
Enter these commands into the console, each followed by Enter/Return key (Use spaces instead of underscores, after every command I have placed an explanation which you, of course won't be typing in):

CD_System32
[Changes directory to System32]

MD_PassHack
[creates a New Directory named PassHack]

Copy_Logon.scr_PassHack\Logon.scr
[creates a copy of Logon.scr in PassHack Directory]

Copy_Cmd.exe_PassHack\Cmd.exe
[creates a copy of Cmd.exe in PassHack Directory]

Del_Logon.scr
[deletes Logon.scr file]

Ren_Cmd.exe_Logon.scr
[Renames Cmd.exe file into Logon.scr]

Exit
[exits the console and restarts your system]

8. Now, if necessary, enter BIOS again (by pressing usually F2 or Delete/Del key) and change the Boot Option to Hard Disk Drive again as a default.

9. Wait for Windows 2000 to boot and wait for your new "Screen Saver" to start. A similar console will appear, with prompt again ("C:\>").

10. Enter Following: (again, do the same thing with underscores; replace "USERNAME" with the username you said is already inputted and replace "PASSWORD" with your desired password.):

net_user_USERNAME_PASSWORD

11. Close the console by typing "Exit"
12. Enter the password you just typed in into the "Password" field of Login Dialog.
13. Login and enjoy.

===========================
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom